A little help with terminology and some advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I think I painted myself into a corner in my English 120 class. I have to write an argumentative research paper. And I tried to select a topic I can relate to. The point I wish to argue is in favor of recreational relic and fossil hunting. I am new to this but so far I enjoy it. Mostly what I have found have been some pottery fragments, modern junk, a few fossils, and TONS of mud.

In SC we need a hobby license to do this, and I have not found many regulations limiting what we can recover. Any recommendations on source information? What I need are regulations regarding this hobby, maybe some examples of cases where divers were accused or charged for some wrong doing, or divers who found something and donated it to a museum. Not professional divers just armatures.

Also what would the proper/popular term be for such divers?

I would love to make some finds like AquaChigger has made on his YouTube Channel but that hasn't happened yet.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

Do the examples need to be in South Carolina?

Read this thread and all of the referenced threads. Richie Kohler accused of looting

Many of the posters are still around. As to terminology, some call us looters, some scavengers, some artifact hunters, some of us refer to ourselves as spider collectors.

No the the examples can be from any where. I would like to find some information that supports the argument that the hobby can benefit society At least when artifacts are gathered responsibly and properly...not just pillaged or snatched from protected locations.

Back
Top Bottom