A Major Step Backwards: Mares abandons the ICON NET Ready

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naboodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What the hell. I can't believe Mares. I went to their website today and under wrist computers found no ICON HD computer at all. I see some 15 year throw back, called the Quad with air integration. **** this thing looks like a computer from 2005 or older. LCD is not the future but the past. As an ICON HD owner for 18 years, I find this a total mystery. Where other manufactures like Scubapro, Sunnto, and others are going (finally) to color tft displays, mares is heading back to the stone age. I hope my ICON never gives out as there is no way I am going back to LCD displays and this Quad product. Welcome other point of view.

I love my HD and I never understood why it was so poorly marketed by Mares. It remains my #1 AI computer. If it dies, I'll be looking for a used one to replace it.

What the hell. I can't believe Mares. I went to their website today and under wrist computers found no ICON HD computer at all. I see some 15 year throw back, called the Quad with air integration.

I felt the same way - at first. I took some time and read the Quad manual, took a close look at the display and am no longer so adamant. 1st the Quad is an Icon without the color. Display of information is the nearly the same with some improvements. They got rid of the tank with the color display and increased the size of the air pressure to easily readable. They fixed the displayed information so that every numeric is easily readable with old eyes. I applaude this.

As far as color goes, I have to set my Icon to night display anyway (mostly black & white) because the color washes out in bright sunlight. The mono doesn't. I hate that the color is totally gone because the ascent alarm and others in yellow and red are important to me. They convey information immediately without having to interpret displayed numbers or words.

I hate the buttons on each corner. Better in a line on the bottom - but not a total deal breaker. I could get used to it.

The transmitter with the LED is hokey as hell. If I want a light on my tank I've got a couple in different colors. I hate it - but the Icon transmitter wil work with the Quad. Since I dive solo I have no need of someone else seeing that the transmitter changed to red and I'm low on air. Yeah, right. Someone's going to pay that much attention to a little led on my tank in sunlight so you can't see it anyway. Besides, I carry a pony.

I love my HD and I never understood why it was so poorly marketed by Mares. It remains my #1 AI computer. If it dies, I'll be looking for a used one to replace it.

No need to buy a used one. Amazon has them - at least for now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUWK9N...olid=19NL59QH7TP3H&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I just replaced the battery myself, since the warrenty is long gone and I don't believe its rocket science since I service my own regs, etc. If it floods I'm going to be torn.

The Quad sans transmitter (I can use the Icon transmitter) is new and will be supported into the future. The Icon will not.

I like the information layout of the Quad better but would hate to give up the color alarms.

The Quad has a user replaceable battery with any flooding causing damage only to the (inexpensive) battery. And you don't have to charge the battery every night when doing 4 dives a day. That's why no color.

The Quad is less expensive ($450) than the Icon ($600). Although they don't include the data cable. That's another $50. So only $100 difference.

I think the Quad might be a tiny bit less clunky.

If it weren't for the gouge of an extra $50 for the data cable I'd probably go for the Quad if I need to replace my Icon. I'm just hoping that the Icon doesn't flood after I changed the battery. I really doubt it will. I don't want to make a choice.

Maybe they're getting ready to release something newer/better? Regardless of how usable the cheaper black and white computer is, they have to know they're losing money from not having a computer with a bright color screen available.

Thanks for chiming in guys. I was pretty ramped up when I posted it. Kharon, I know you are a long time user of this computer as well and frequent poster here. You have stated valid points around the Quad and I appreciate that you can see the positives. But I just can't, like you, give up on the color aspects of this computer. The tank colors and alerts are a great visual and very helpful during the course of a dive. I dive with a bunch of Scubapro fan boys. They sung the praises of the Galileo for years but with its LCD display which was only visible at the correct angle, I thought it sucked. I pointed out that a TFT display is good at any angle and you don't have to push the light button (dim lighting) to see it , so stick it. They are now singing the praises of the new Scubapro G2 which is a color TFT display. I am sure they stole the tech from Shearwater when they bought them. The new G2 still has a smaller screen than the ICON but I have to say it is nicely done. It took them 18 years to come to the features I have on my ICON. If my ICON goes out on me in the future then I am heading to the DS to get a G2 replace it. Thanks to Mares, I guess there is no hope for Tri-mix firmware upgrade or any further upgraded firmware for my ICON. The ICON did have some negatives around the need to recharge every night and the USB interface clip was a challenge at first but damn, it's positives out weighed the negatives IMHO. BTW, Kharon what is you use to open the battery compartment on the ICON? Was it difficult to change out the battery?

Not difficult at all. To open the battery compartment I used a pair of needle nosed pliers with thin tips. I actually found that the kind with curved tines were easier to use.

Once the cover is off you need to unplug the connector. I used a thin flat tip blade to insert and pry/twist CAREFULLY to just loosten the connection. Then the same curved needle nose pliers to grip & free it.

Slide the old battery out and the new one in (duh - I know obvious, but I'm OCD). I used a curved haemostat/forceps to grip the new connecter and position and partially seat it. Once I knew it was alligned I just pushed it home. A bit of silicone grease on the o-ring and tightened the cover.

NOTE: before you pop the old connector free make sure to look at the configuration of the red vs black wires that go into it. You don't want to try to put the connector in upside down and get it stuck.

I also looked at every AI (and non AI) color alternative to the Icon. None of them rang my chimes. If my Icon dies I'll either buy another or go to the Quad. I could love the quad if it had color alarms. Don't need the colored tank graphic. I actually prefer numbers for that and the Quad has the Icon beat on that item. All in all, even with the $50 gouge on the data cable, I think I'd lean toward the Quad.

I'd just as soon not spend either $500 or $600 for either though. I really don't need any new bells and whistles on the Icon so no more firmware upgrades aren't a problem for me. I'm also wary of anything that just came out. Version 1.0's generally suck with unforseen problems and bugs. I just hope my Icon outlives my ability to dive.

Kharon,

Thanks for the tips on battery replacement. Very helpful. Especially the wire config direction. That is something one thinks about after having already pull the connector LOL. I have seen the replacement battery on Leisure Pro. Is that where you got yours or is there another source?

Back
Top Bottom