A month in Hawaii ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since trade winds prevail over the Big Island, especially in the summer, vog spreads across the island to the Kona coast, typically covering the area from Puako in the N to Miloli'i in the S. There are some websites that report current vog conditions, like this one.

Great site. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm not sure what "acceptable" is for sulfur dioxide concentrations, but it looks like (for now) staying north of the airport in Kona is safe?

Do you (or anybody) know if there's good accommodations on the north coast? Good diving up there?

What about Hilo, which seems like it's spared because of the trades despite proximity to the vents. Any good diving out of that side?

Sea Tiger Oahu
YO
Corsair Hawaii Kai (WW2 bomber)
I second the manta dive Kona
(I think it is usally far enough away from volcano when the lava is flowing)
Kaimana Divers Oahu if lucky there is a tug boat wreck near Pear Harbour also

Great site. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm not sure what "acceptable" is for sulfur dioxide concentrations, but it looks like (for now) staying north of the airport in Kona is safe?

Do you (or anybody) know if there's good accommodations on the north coast? Good diving up there?

What about Hilo, which seems like it's spared because of the trades despite proximity to the vents. Any good diving out of that side?
It propably is. I mean, I would just ignore cause 2 weeks probably won't kill you:) Tourism is down 50% of its usual level now, so you'll probably find a place to stay with ease. If you preffer the safer North (Kohala), there is a dive shop there, Kohala Divers, and decent eateries, like Seafood Bar and Grill. You can do boat dives with them or/and rent tanks for shore diving at Mahukona and Kapa'a parks not far away to the north. Puako, another good spot for shore diving, is not far away to the south.

Hilo side diving is marginal. Stronger surf and lower visibility.

Sounds like an amazing trip!

I just came back from 7 days in Kona. I was there during the initial eruption and 6.9 earthquakes. Kona is fine and the diving is still great. There are higher levels of VOG in Kona so it is overcast. I recommend diving with KDC. They have two boats now and are doing 2 tank local dives on the bigger boat and 2 dive long range dives on the smaller boat. In addition to the 2-tank twilight/manta dive they are also now offering night reef dives which are amazing! I still need to write up a trip report, but in my nine dives, I saw lots of juvenile schooling fish, octopus, squid, spotted eagle rays, tiger sharks, pipefish, turtles and even a mantis shrimp.

I was fine in Kona but it could be tough if you have asthma or other challenges. One other option is to stay and dive in Kohala with Kohala Divers.

My understanding is that Volcanoes National Park is mostly closed because of air quality issues. There have been some evacuations for the lava flow and I think about 25-30 homes have been destroyed, but most of the evacuations are in Puna and are related to air quality. The area being hit with lava is called the rift zone for a reason -- there were evacuations in 2014 too. The big concern now is a steam explosion--which is why I wouldn't recommend staying in Kapoho, Pahoa, or greater Puna right now. But the rest of the Island is open and safe. I'm trying to head back in late June.

Can't speak for Hilo, but there is GREAT diving in North Kohala. There is only one operator located in Kawaihae, Kohala Divers. You'll have the dive sites all to yourself, as most of the operators on the leeward side are in Kona.

Lots of great accommodations in the area - several resorts in Waikoloa, and Mauna Kea and Hapuna Beach Resort further north. If resorts aren't your thing, there are tons of condo rentals as well.

Actually there's 3 dive operations in the Kohala coast area - Waikoloa Coast Divers, Kohala Divers and Blue Wilderness

Hilo diving is all shore diving - contact Nautilus Dive Center – The Best Dive Shop in Hilo he's been doing it for decades.

Another vote for Kona Diving Co - especially if they're doing long range dives souith now with the new boat. My buddy dove south with them and they were joined by a large pod of spinner dolphins for most of the dive.

Two Step/Place of Refuge is the signature shore dive south of Kona.
I've heard of good diving around Puako to the north also,
Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

The Manta Night dive - which is not off a resort - that's the Sheraton feed which sometimes brings them in under the lights. The dive is done by most of the Kona based operators. It's listed as one of the top 50 dives in the world on some sites and has it's own website. Any of the Kona shops feature it also - if you stay up in Kohala plan to drive down to meet a Kona boat - even if you book it locally.

The other popular nght dive is Pelagic Magic - Jack's Diving Locker has a webpage about it. It's a blackwater dive on a line which when the lights are out shows a variety of bioluminescent creatures in the water column.

an 8 year old thread on Kona wrecks - Wrecks off Big Island?

Last edited:
Actually there's 3 dive operations in the Kohala coast area - Waikoloa Coast Divers, Kohala Divers and Blue Wilderness
The Blue Wilderness guys are in the Waikoloa Beach area south of Puako. Which is handy only if you stay in WB Mariot or in Puako.

Waikoloa Coast Divers are located way inland, in Waimea. I do not know much about them but I guess, their customer base are folks who live there but also like to dive sometimes. Keep in mind that Waimea is located at about 3000 ft elevation.

Their boat isn't...although it is a little north of Puako -

apparently,,,
OK, thanks. But you still have to stop at the shop to register and for the rentals, correct?

Honnybee616, I would love to hear your trip report from Oahu. I'm going end of June and need a good recommendation on dive shop / boat operations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom