A new device for underwater hearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This makes it easier, while underwater, to hear sounds that are above the water. Why do I want to do this? Sounds made underwater travel just fine, and can be heard easily.

Might be interesting for dive boats to use in order to recall divers. If the DM could yell (or use a whistle or megaphone) it might be less likely for divers to confuse the signals like might happen when "banging on a ladder" to recall a group.

Less range and it's one-way so I don't see it replacing underwater comms like you get with traditional full facemask setups. In this way it seems like the applications would be fairly limited.

On the flip side, I'm sure there's a huge impact to the underwater environment. All that noise amplified into the water sure can't be pleasant for the creatures that live there. I imagine if these become popular that they'll get banned in marine parks, SPA's etc.

would still have to be pretty bloody loud to be heard over any distance. If you want diver recall, get one of the transmitters that you can built for about $50 and drop it over the edge....

would still have to be pretty bloody loud to be heard over any distance. If you want diver recall, get one of the transmitters that you can built for about $50 and drop it over the edge....
Well shoot. I wonder what the use case is that's got these folks so excited. I surely can't think of it.

I'm guessing the OP was confused by the title of the article linked....and thought perhaps it meant he could hear his buddy better while they were both underwater.

The sounds of Parrot fish crunching the reef would be deafening!

LOL. it already is, and the device would not affect that at all.
Now, if the Parrotfish were crunching something ABOVE the surface, the device might help you hear it underwater.

Now kids playing at the bottom of the pool can hear mom calling to dinner. Every household with a pool and children will need this the moment Triton artificial gills go on sale.

...and if there is a singing whale in the neighbourhood, your head will explode.

Other than that, you guys don't like it, but in a scientific point of view, the device is interesting, and can be useful in some circumstances, like working underwater, research, etc...
Give it a try!
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom