A new dive computer from Oceans, with built-in buddy communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me at least, unless he ping gives me a sense of direction of where it came from, it seems of limited use. Maybe I am missing something here?

You should know where your buddy is and be close enough to come up above coral heads and see their bubbles.

Think tank banger that only your buddy can hear, and they know it's you banging.

You should know where your buddy is and be close enough to come up above coral heads and see their bubbles.

Think tank banger that only your buddy can hear, and they know it's you banging.

Agreed. But we all know that sometimes in practice, you can loose a buddy depending on Viz. That was my thought.

Agreed. But we all know that sometimes in practice, you can loose a buddy depending on Viz. That was my thought.

It won't help then. (Neither will a tank banger or an air horn.) However if you know roughly what direction your buddy is, you can start moving that way and looking. And presume they know you're looking.

It won't help then. (Neither will a tank banger or an air horn.) However if you know roughly what direction your buddy is, you can start moving that way and looking. And presume they know you're looking.

If you knew which direction the ping came from, you should be able to use it as a tracker to zero in on the source. That was my thought.

If you knew which direction the ping came from, you should be able to use it as a tracker to zero in on the source. That was my thought.

Oh, I get that. I think when you need to know which direction they're in, you're in or very near a "lost buddy" situation. But there's a whole lot of room between "lost buddy" and lost sight -- in the simplest case: because I am looking at something else. Press a button and I'll turn around and look at you, that's what this thing's for. For the lost buddy scenario: you've a protocol you both agreed on before the dive, and you're going to follow it, right?

Oh, I get that. I think when you need to know which direction they're in, you're in or very near a "lost buddy" situation. But there's a whole lot of room between "lost buddy" and lost sight -- in the simplest case: because I am looking at something else. Press a button and I'll turn around and look at you, that's what this thing's for. For the lost buddy scenario: you've a protocol you both agreed on before the dive, and you're going to follow it, right?

Absolutely. I have a regular dive buddy and our system is pretty much as outlined in the course books. If we loose each other, we will spend 2 minutes searching for a sign. If no sign presents its self, we surface. But if we could track a ping location. at the very least, I would be able to pinpoint a direction. It would change the process we currently use for lost buddy situations.

But if we could track a ping location. at the very least, I would be able to pinpoint a direction. It would change the process we currently use for lost buddy situations.

Unfortunately "triangulation" has "three" in its name for a reason... It would be useful you can't do it with just 2 devices. :(

Unfortunately "triangulation" has "three" in its name for a reason... It would be useful you can't do it with just 2 devices. :(

There are other ways to do location tracking than triangulation between two devices, the S1 have multiple sensors that would allow for this and it’s something we’re currently testing.

Back
Top Bottom