A new study-PFO and divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Apr 26 (Reuters Health) - Before birth a connection called the foramen
ovale exists between the right and the left side of the heart that allows
blood to bypass the lungs. Usually this connection closes after birth, but
new research indicates that an open or "patent" foramen ovale (PFO) may be
common in one group of adults -- scuba divers.

In divers, a PFO can allow tiny gas bubbles to pass from the vein side of
the body to the artery side, leading to certain types of "the bends," also
called decompression sickness, according to the report in The American
Journal of Cardiology.

The observation that some people have uneventful dives for many years and
then suddenly become more susceptible to the bends, led Dr. Peter
Germonpre, from the Military Hospital Brussels in Belgium, and colleagues
to hypothesize that the foramen ovale was not closing as expected.

To test this theory, the researchers used cardiac ultrasound to look for
PFO in 40 divers on two occasions 7 years apart. The group included 16
subjects who had experienced the bends and 24 who had not.

PFO was diagnosed and graded according to the number of test bubbles that
passed through the opening during ultrasound -- the more bubbles that
passed, the bigger the opening. With a normal foramen ovale, no bubbles
should pass, meaning that the opening had closed.

On initial evaluation, 20 subjects were diagnosed with PFO and 20 had a
closed opening. At follow-up, 21 subjects were diagnosed with the condition
and 19 had a closed opening.

Although the increase in subjects with PFO was slight, there was a
pronounced shift to more severe PFO. For example, the number of subjects
with the largest PFOs, known as grade 2, increased by six between the two
assessment periods.

"To our knowledge, this is the first (forward-looking) study to actually
document the increase in PFO size in humans, using a standardized and
reliable...technique," the authors point out. Further research is needed to
determine exactly why a PFO does not follow its typical course in some
divers, they add.

SOURCE: The American Journal of Cardiology, April 2005.

Publish Date: April 26, 2005

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2004.12.026

from the link above: "Unexpected but significant increases in the prevalence and size of PFO were found, suggesting a possible increasing risk for decompression sickness in these divers over time."

The topic is covered in detail in the ITC, since that is the point when you begin to screen potential students.

As far as the tendancy towards the incidence and magnitude getting worse in the population, this is not surprising, with the increasing strides in medical care.

I have witnessed several diagnosed PFO individuals who wanted to take scuba training. In every case, when their personal physician heard about it, due to the referral with the medical form, the doctor said $@%& NO! :)

jagfish:
If true, the implications of this are as unjust as the are wierd....
I have always carried around in my head a "statistic" that may be right, wrong, or entirely off the charts - that about half of those who experience DCS have "deserved" hits, from violating the rules; that approximately half of the cases of DCS are "undeserved" and occur in people who are following the rules, and that half of those - about one quarter of all cases of DCS - are accounted for by PFO. That would make PFO the single most important factor in "undeserved" hits.

The remaining quarter of all cases, about one half of all "undeserved" hits, will include a lot of people who are actually doing *something* wrong, but not violating the tables or their computer's restrictions. For example, they may be dehydrated. And that remaining quarter will also include people who, so far as we can tell, did everything right and got bent anyway.

Kidspot

Yes a PFO can be closed up. A friend of mine had a stroke recently and shortly thereafter he was in surgery to fix a PFO. The surgery was outpatient, like doing a balloon job only a device called an umbrella was inserted into his heart. He went home at the end of the day. By the way he is only in his mid 50s. Which brings up another question.

Has anyone studied the effect of a PFO on the likelihood of a stroke?

kidspot:
What is the ITC?
Instructor Training Course?

kidspot:
Also can a PFO be closed up via surgery etc. if one exists?
Yes, i believe DD had the surgery done as i recall.

Stirling:
... And that remaining quarter will also include people who, so far as we can tell, did everything right and got bent anyway.

I cannot say I believe someone who ends up in the chamber "did everything right."

At the very least, they did something that they have never done before, either too fast, or too deep, or too aggressively.

You are supposed to start out with conservative planning. The first dive would normally be 20 ft for 15 mins in an OW1 course. Then 30 ft for 20 mins. Then 40 ft for 20 mins. Then 50 ft for 20 mins. Eventually divers works up to 100 ft for 15 mins. Those are all fairly conservative plans, typically encountered in OW1 or AOW courses under an instructors supervision. With proper hydration and avoidance of alcohol, I cannot imagine profiles like that causing DCI unless there were also a PFO.

The next level of development would be during tech training at 150 ft for 15mins, several dives. Then 180 ft for 20 mins. Then 200 ft for 20 mins. Then 250 ft for 20 mins. From there, any increase would be SLOW and GRADUAL. Ultimately you could work up to 30 mins, and also deeper.

In my view, if you ended up in the chamber, then your planning and preparation was poor, or you flew too soon after diving, or you have a PFO, or all of the above. :)

Interesting Article, I'd like to see more studies conducted. Also yes, a PFO can be closed up. Ask Detroit Diver (the guy who started this thread) about the procedure, he has had it done.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom