a newbie weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdninkorea

Registered
Reaction score
Seoul Korea, but my Heart is still in Canada
I'm a big guy just under six foot and about 300 pounds. I am in pretty good health overall but because of my size with a 5mm exposure suit I need to wear 20KG of weight (about 45 lbs). My problem is, other than getting in and out of the boat, is keeping balanced under water. The suit is brand new, as new as I am, so this problem may not stay a problem after some more diving. Any suggestions on either getting the weight needed lowered, and yes a new gym regiment has been started to work off my baby fat (leave me some of my disilusionments), Would be appreciated. I'm already a spectacle enough being a 300lb foriegner in Korea that being one that dives like an ADD child constantly twisting and turning etc...

Thanks I know this is a little long sorry =-)

Have you performed a weight check at the end of your dive. Your goal is to be neutral with no air in your bc with 500lbs or less of air in your tank at a depth of 10-15ft.It seems like your wearing way to much weight to me.

You might not really need 20kg. Two common problems with new divers are 1) moving their fins while vertical, and thereby driving themselves upward, and 2) gulping in a huge breath of air just before trying to descend.

I started out a bit heavy (30lbs in salt water, with a 7mm hooded wetsuit/vest combo).

After several dives, I went down to 28, then 26....

Also, try to move the weight around a bit...Put some on the belt, some in pockets, maybe some on the tank, in order to make your trim correct...

You should eventually be able to make yourself pivot to any attitude and stay in a that given position (hands and legs unmoving...). (I can't quite do this yet, but I'm getting better slowly...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom