a newbie...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcshin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
hey guys,

im j... just started signing up for my first e learning course.. and wanted to get your 2c...

1. what is considered the cheapest brand out there for diving equipment, including body suit? what is the most expensive?

2. for my first open water dive, should i go to hawaii or bahamas and why?

thanks!

2. for my first open water dive, should i go to hawaii or bahamas and why?

Are you referring to your first POST-certification dives, or doing your class dives somewhere? If it's the latter, I would strongly recommend that you consider doing your checkout dives in California, with your local instructor. We've got great diving here, and it's a fantastic learning experience that will help prepare you for your first trip, so that you can fully enjoy your vacation. :)

With todays internet sales, you can often find top of the line gear for less money than cheapo stuff. You need to familiarize yourself with diving gear and what kind of diving you plan to do in the future. For example, I have bought professional gear for less money than introductory packages sold by most retailers and LDCs. And just because my military drysuit and regulator are great quality and cheap does not mean I would recommend them to you. The extra weight and bulkiness of my rubber drysuit that fits my needs perfeclty is nothing you would want, I can guess... Same goes for my 20 year old regulator that I like because it is easy to service. You might want something completely different. Talk to your instructor, talk online and form your own opinion. And shopping by price often means paying twice.
As for your open water dive - dive with the instructor that trains you from the start.

For equipment it can as cheap or expensive as you want to make it. ABout all of the Manufactures have differnt regs different Prices. However if your looking for which one os the best deal at the best price I would have to say Look at the HOG line of Regs. I have yet to try one but many who have switched from Big names. I heard they perform just as well if not better and cost a 1/3 of the price of others. Also go woth a BP/W vs traditional jacket as depending who you go with it also can save you money and be a benefit in the long run as if you decide to go into doubles/scootering/ have canlight etc.. it's all set-up for it. with doubles all you need is a new wing not a while BC.

It would seam that if you are thinking of doing your first open water dives in Hawaii or the Bahamas you would not need to worry about purchasing the cheapest gear available. From what I here you have great diving right where you live. What most people don't realize is that limitless viz in the tropics is because the water is DEAD, as there is nothing in it so you can almost see forever. The water by you may appear cloudy and you can't see very far because all the life in it. The cloudiness in the water is the very base of the food chain that all the larger creatures come to feed on.

I have no comments on gear, because I think price is one of the less important considerations in making a purchase. Now as to Hawaii vs. Bahamas, I love diving Hawaii (headed there again in a couple of weeks), BUT.. it is pricey compared to the Bahamas, and the water is cooler. Surface conditions will be rougher too, most days. All of that being said, both locations are wonderful dive destinations. I prefer Hawaii, but I think most new divers would find the Bahamas easier.
DivemasterDennis

The main brands are ones like scubapro, aqualung, zeagle etc.

Typically if you get at least a mid-level one of their products you can't go wrong.

Read, read, and read some more....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/114279-what-did-you-buy-you-regret.html that is a good thread that I have found helpful myself. It can't hurt to learn from other's mistakes, however a lot of the posters in there (and on this site) are pretty 'hardcore' and their needs may be much greater than yours.

From my experience the cheapest gear is the stuff that you don't go on to replace after 12 months after realising it wasn't the right purchase for you. The most expensive gear I have bought is a BCD that was quickly replaced because it wasn't right for me.

Take some time to find out what will work best for you, and if possible, don't let money be the one deciding factor. This is especially true for wetsuits. If it fits you properly it doesn't matter what it costs.

I have no idea on the dive destinations, both sound pretty awesome.

I'm with Dennis on this one... go to the Bahamas. The water will be warmer and calmer than in Hawaii, as well as being cheaper, though from CA that might not be the case. I liked both destinations and both have a lot to offer so you really can't go wrong with either.

As for gear, I'll contradict the crowd and say I almost always buy based upon price. That said, I buy higher end (usually) gear that is used and get the best price for quality gear. The exception to that rule is wetsuits. I have wetsuits from about 6 different manufacturers, though, and the most I've paid is $130. That was my aqualung 3mm "hyperstretch". The most important factor in a wetsuit is fit. There are so many quality brands out there for wetsuits, you'd be hard pressed to find something that wasn't at least decent. Brand really doesn't mean all that much and there's not much reason to pay premium just for a name brand. At least that's my opinion, others will have different opinions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom