A newcomers take on BPW v traditional jacket BCDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are you trying to sell them a Noodle Jacket WITH a Kinky Torture Device built in.... after they've already bought BP/Wings?
900 × 1187
I'm not trying to sell them anything at all and I stated that implicitly. My reason for posting that information was for anyone else that may be having the same or similar issues as the OP and searching for a solution. Simply posting what I've learned from experience thus far. YMMV

I found lots of info here on Scubaboard about BPW. The site has some great experts. @tbone1004 was especially helpful as well as @Jim Lapenta!
I owe them both a lot of gratitude.
In some threads I read that the crotch strap along with the waist straps are key to holding the backplate on, and that the shoulder straps should be loose. As counter intuitive as it sounded, they are right! So the crotch strap is very important.
It also helps keep you in the BC while at the surface.
Enjoy the new gear and dive safe!

I needed the cinch system or buckles and shoulder buckles might have left me with less room for d rings i carry a lot of crap some dives which was my only real desire in the new set up. Im finding that all i need is a few inches of strap movement on one side and im in and out easily. I still havent manned up and cut off the extra strap material but it will probably happed after i force each of my buddies in florida to dive with it once. I guess thats a statement on its own i think enough of it a week in to think my friends need to try it out.

Im still really surprised more dive shops don’t carry what it takes to outfit one medium and large with say two wing options. It just seems stupid. I own two auto shops in a small area my parts inventory keeps me in business. I have to believe that stocking what it takes to outfit people from a medium to large would generate sales far more profitable than having 50 jacket BCDs that dont fit any more than two BPW would but thats just the money making side of my brain in motion?

I know that one of my sons will most likely replace his jacket this year after seeing me clip my hefty flashlight in place under my inflator. I dont even know its there.

...cannot outfit a BPW from a shop for $600 to $700 let alone the $300 to $500 prices some talk about here on the forum it aint gonna happens new in a shop, average price out the door is $800 to $1200

Covered well by others, but the shop is just trying to maintain the price point of their high end jackets, not help you reduce your cost.

...if your currently diving air 2 toss out another Benjamin or two for an octopus reg.

A buddy converted his wing to accept his Air 2, depends whether you want to continue with one or not.

My wifes old jacket used to climb and drop during her dive mine would if I didn't get it pulled in right. the crotch strap eliminates this

Somewhere in the '90's(?) when they came out with the poodle jackets and elastic velcro cummerbun, the manufacturers dropped the crotch strap because the elastic in the cummerbun and the use of air pressure holding the jacket against the diver made it unnecessary. Before that the Stab jackets, and earlier the Horsecollar BC's used the crotch strap. I had a poodle jacket for a while, I put on a crotch strap after the first dives.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom