A note to all the newbies, just dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can manage your buoyancy with the drysuit. It's just more difficult and will suck up more of your air, since it vents as you go up and any time the exhaust valve is the hgh point on the suit.

Getting properly weighted is about 90% of the problem, regardless of which method you use, or even whether or not you use a drysuit, so if you want to make things easier, take a little time at the end of your next dive (when your tank is mostly empty), and check your weights. I think you'll be amazed how little it actually takes.

When I first started diving dry, I had enough lead that you would think someone was trying to collect on my life insurance. Now I'm down to 15 pounds, and may take off another pound next time. (this is with a steel tank and a pony bottle; your mileage may vary). Every pound that came off made a difference, and now I'm more-or-less horizontal.

The only time a lot of air is good is when it's in your tank. Anyplace else will make buoyancy control difficult.

Terry

Far_X:
(after all, I did it when diving wet) but think that somehow I just got to be able to do this easily before I move on to the next method. The squeeze doesn't cause pain around you know where but I am aware of a squeeze.

I think I will do just that. I am wearing 26 pounds at the moment diving in sea water. As they are beach dives, I am going to work out how to get to a place where I can surface without getting into a boat lane. I think I have a dive on Saturday which is a shore dive and I know I can find a place where I can measure my weights though the current I was there the last time was quite strong. Thanks for the advice again.

I agree with Web Monkey. Having said that, I would first learn to use the suit as your control. Reason being is you now have a redundant buoyancy device if the need should arrise, but it does you no good if you cannot safely control it. I would venture to guess you are being told to use it for that reason as well as to keep the task loading down to a minimum. It took me many dives before I had it all worked out, and I personally prefer to use my suit for buoyancy since it also helps keep me warmer in this cold place (VT). I have, on occasion, used the BC method with no issues but am glad I learned to control my suit first and foremost. After you have mastered the suit, and you will, then by all means try the BC method if YOU wish. Many do as you have read, but it then becomes a matter of personal preference. Please keep us informed on your progress. Dive Safe!

I'm also a newbie, with just over 100 dives and an almost-complete DM course, and I've got to chime in with Christine.

Right now, I'm lucky - I live in South Florida, less than a mile from a wonderfully diveable beach. It's great - to just get up early in the morning and drive for 5 minutes, gear up and dive. (Notice that my gear stays packed in my car to keep things convenient!) But things haven't always been that way. I spent the first three years after certification in North Carolina, where quarry diving was the best option available, and then only when I could round up a buddy with a free morning on his/her schedule.

So what's a diver to do in that situation? Read, learn, ask questions, take classes. Do anything you can to improve your skills. Family takes the front seat, and shares it with work, unfortunately for those of us with full lives and pre-existing committments. Still, I think that those divers like Christine are to be commended, not criticized, for making the most of those rare opportunities for diving.

Christine, you can dive with the Florida Conchs any time. We're all in the same boat - enjoying what we've learned, and constantly learning/teaching/doing...

Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

I just got my c-card 7 dives total. I work in Arkansas and live in Mississippi. I went to Florida for the 3 dives after cert. A lot of my off time is spent traveling to and from work. I have two places to stay. A lot of my budies from the dive shop travel about 1.5 hrs on the weekend to dive at the lake where I did my first 4 dives. My work schedule is 4-12 hr days, 3-12 hr days, 3-12 hr days, 4-12 hr days with 3 days off between changes and 7 days off after last 4. Problem is that most of my off days fall in the middle of the week when every one else is working. I have to plan well ahead to be able to dive. BTW the next dives I have planed are in Pensecola/Destin, FL in Sept. or Oct. and Cozumel and Beliez next May. Hope to be able to work in several dives between now and then. Need to find a buddy with a wierd work schedule similar to mine.

Congratulations and good luck in your search. I am sure that you should be able to find someone through this board!!

Back
Top Bottom