A question about DAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HappyGirl

Reaction score
Hello there, I am new to scuba, supposed to finish my OW cert this weekend, weather permitting. It hasn't rained in 3 months, but this weekend, of all times, it has to rain. But I digress, should I join DAN? Is it really informative/helpful? Also, should I sign up for the insuance (I have no other health insurance)? And if I should sign up, how much is really needed?
Thanks in advance for you help,
Emily

I'm a member, my wife is a member, and so are alot of us. DAN is one of the, if not the, top authorities on dive medicine, so that would have it's benefits. There also well known all over the world. As far as the insurance goes, you should shop around and pick what's best for you. But you definately should strongly consider getting some type of dive insurance. One visit to a chamber would set back an average of 10 grand, could be alot more if you need a an air ambulance to evacuate you, and even more if you needed long distance transportation to a chamber. As cheap as the insurance is, it just doesn't make sense not to have it. My only complaint about DAN's insurance is that they require you to call them first before you call for an evac. We had some discussion on this a while back, you can see it here.

Welcome to the boards. Warhammer has given you good advice. I use DAN and I have their numbers stuck all over my equiment. Thank goodness I have never had to actually use them. They will send you stickers when you join.

Welcome HappyGirl,

As soon as I was certified I (and my wife,Family membership)Joined DAN got the Insurance too.

I wouldn't want to be without it!

Tavi

Dive gear.... $2000
Live-aboard trip to your diving paradise.... $2000
All the DAN Insurance you can buy.... $99

Evacuation & chamber ride after you chased the whale shark to 200'.... PRICELESS.

Ask your instructor if s/he will have DAN coverage for your open water checkout. Not that you should need it there, but you never know. Also, DAN is not a substitute for health insurance, but I sure wouldn't get in the water if I didn't have either one. I'm convinced that DAN is the best bargain in diving.

-kate

Happygirl,

In my opinion (FWIW), DAN is not an option but a necessity, for the reasons mentioned above. Many of the insureance programs that Warhammer linked to above include DAN in their fees. Even if you don't go with the other insurance, buy the DAN coverage.

I actually joined just before my OW certification-just in case.

DAN supplies peace of mind if nothing else. My brother instructs in Egypt and knows of a hyperbaric chamber that tried to charge tens of thousands of dollars for its use (due to the fact that it is used so infrequently and is expensive to set up and maintain). We pay hundreds of dollars for things like a regulator so DAN insurance is a snip at the price

HappyGirl,

This one is a no-brainer, so I will jump on this bandwagon as well. I definitely had to have it before going on my OW cert classes, hopefully later this month.

Jimbo

Thank you all so much for your responses. I guess I will be sending in the DAN form tomorrow!

short and sweet YES

however i lost much respect for dan when they printed false facts about marijuana in recent mag. for a company that has stood by science and giving legit facts out, they messed up big time and told out right lies.

but the insurance is well worth it, your be brain dead not to opt forit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom