A question about NAUI OW checkout skills...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeFL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My girlfriend is doing her first two OW checkout dives today. There are a couple things her instructor is having the students do for skills that I never heard of as being required for a basic NAUI OW cert. I know that every instructor may have different teaching styles and may focus on different elements of diving, but can someone explain these.

1) On the 'snorkel dive' the students have to free-dive down about 15 feet (not on scuba), grab a handful of sand, and then surface with it. The 'logic' being that if you drop something on a shallow dive you can go down and get it. What??? I guess in some situations, maybe thats an option, but if you already have residual nitrogen, couldn't this cause DCS? And why would they require it for certification... I know plenty of people who would find that very difficult off scuba... equalizing, etc...

2) After the first dive, students are required, on the surface over the dive site, to remove their BCs and sit on them floating on the surface. The reason being that it is easier for them to see boats, and to be seen. I can see making them do this like a ditch and don excercize or something, but on a real dive, what if a wave knocks them off the BC in choppy water? they would be separated from their BC, with their weight belt still on. Of course, I am sure they would be instructed to ditch the weights, but come on... does anyone else think this is more risky than advised?

I am just curious what others may think about this. Thanks.
Joe

JoeFL:
My girlfriend is doing her first two OW checkout dives today. There are a couple things her instructor is having the students do for skills that I never heard of as being required for a basic NAUI OW cert. I know that every instructor may have different teaching styles and may focus on different elements of diving, but can someone explain these.

1) On the 'snorkel dive' the students have to free-dive down about 15 feet (not on scuba), grab a handful of sand, and then surface with it. The 'logic' being that if you drop something on a shallow dive you can go down and get it. What??? I guess in some situations, maybe thats an option, but if you already have residual nitrogen, couldn't this cause DCS? And why would they require it for certification... I know plenty of people who would find that very difficult off scuba... equalizing, etc...

2) After the first dive, students are required, on the surface over the dive site, to remove their BCs and sit on them floating on the surface. The reason being that it is easier for them to see boats, and to be seen. I can see making them do this like a ditch and don excercize or something, but on a real dive, what if a wave knocks them off the BC in choppy water? they would be separated from their BC, with their weight belt still on. Of course, I am sure they would be instructed to ditch the weights, but come on... does anyone else think this is more risky than advised?

I am just curious what others may think about this. Thanks.
Joe
I think your instructor is just doing some things that will show a comfort level in the water. There is no way anyone can teach every situation in class. As soon as you think you have learned it all and done it all something new pops up.

#1. The 'logic' being that if you drop something on a shallow dive you can go down and get it. What??? I guess in some situations, maybe that’s an option, but if you already have residual nitrogen, couldn't this cause DCS?

You would have to be right on the edge for that to happen and how many times are you going to be that close to the edge. Most new divers suck air at such a rate you will have plenty of room to do it safely.

#2.
Again I think the instructor is trying to show some other options. It doesn’t mean you will ever use it but it shows there is always something else that can be done.

There is no perfect world in diving. We had a job to do a few years back on the biggest lake in our area at 94,600 acres. When we hit the water it was dead calm and the weather reports were for it to stay the same for several days. About 30 minutes into the dive we started getting kicked around on the bottom. That could only mean one thing so we started up.

On the surface seas were running 12 to 15 feet. Neither of us got onto the dive platform but went directly into the boat from the side. It took some timing but trying to hit the platform would have meant suicide. We were never taught that but we both knew there were other options and devised a new one.

If your instructor only taught one thing with no options, how many people would actually try to figure something else out in an emergency? Just because he taught something unusual look at it as a positive thing not a this is what you HAVE to do.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
#1. The 'logic' being that if you drop something on a shallow dive you can go down and get it. What??? I guess in some situations, maybe that’s an option, but if you already have residual nitrogen, couldn't this cause DCS?

You would have to be right on the edge for that to happen and how many times are you going to be that close to the edge. Most new divers suck air at such a rate you will have plenty of room to do it safely.

Gary D.

Hi, Thanks for the response. Let me give you an example of what I mean. You have just done a dive. Now you are snorkeling on your surface interval (no scuba) and you dive down 15'. You are not going to surface at 30'/minute as if you are scuba diving, you are just rushing to the surface. Couldn't that cause a problem?

Anyway, she just called. Her dives went well so I am a happy camper : ) Only 2 more to go.

Thanks again for the response.
Joe

Gary D.:
There is no perfect world in diving. We had a job to do a few years back on the biggest lake in our area at 94,600 acres. When we hit the water it was dead calm and the weather reports were for it to stay the same for several days. About 30 minutes into the dive we started getting kicked around on the bottom. That could only mean one thing so we started up.

On the surface seas were running 12 to 15 feet. Neither of us got onto the dive platform but went directly into the boat from the side. It took some timing but trying to hit the platform would have meant suicide. We were never taught that but we both knew there were other options and devised a new one.

Gary D.

Jeeze... thats quite and adventure of a dive. This past winter I dove here off Ft Lauderdale and the Ocean was running 5' to 7'. I really didn't want to be out there, but went anyway. The dives were fine, but getting back in the boat was no easy task. We could use the ladder and swim platform with good timing. I couldn't imagine doing what you did. Necessity really is the mother of invention.

Later

JoeFL:
Hi, Thanks for the response. Let me give you an example of what I mean. You have just done a dive. Now you are snorkeling on your surface interval (no scuba) and you dive down 15'. You are not going to surface at 30'/minute as if you are scuba diving, you are just rushing to the surface. Couldn't that cause a problem?

Anyway, she just called. Her dives went well so I am a happy camper : ) Only 2 more to go.

Thanks again for the response.
Joe
We're not talking about going snorkling, just a quick 15 feet to go get something. If your doing a SI and you think it might be a problem add a letter group or don't do it period.

Diving is a world of what if's. No matter what one does there can be a safety buffer and a hazard involved. It is best to error on the side of caution and be safe.

Everyone keeps freaking out about diving deep because of the dangers. Yet shallow diving can be much more dangerous due to rapid volume changes and the laid back attitude about only being in shallow water.

Gary D.

JoeFL:
Jeeze... thats quite and adventure of a dive. This past winter I dove here off Ft Lauderdale and the Ocean was running 5' to 7'. I really didn't want to be out there, but went anyway. The dives were fine, but getting back in the boat was no easy task. We could use the ladder and swim platform with good timing. I couldn't imagine doing what you did. Necessity really is the mother of invention.

Later
In a 19' jet boat you don't have a lot of options. The sides were moving a lot less than the bow or the stern.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom