A question about the weights used for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If some idiot decides to ban lead weights we'll have to move onto brass or bronze, which cost more, would have to be heavier for the same ballast effect, and would at some point have some nut getting worked up about copper oxides.

Much as we see standard incandescent bulbs being banned in favor of CFL bulbs. Who pushed for that environmentally GREEN legislation? The sole manufacturers, the Chinese.

If there's a buck to be made, somebody will stand in front of a camera and tell you why it's the best or the worst. This occurs just after the lobbyists have made their rounds.

Caveat to any and all who want to get into the art of SCUBA Weight molding at home... do at least some internet research regarding safe handling both in terms of environmental concerns as well as the sometimes seemingly explosive characteristics of molten lead. What you don't imagine could really ruin your day.

I thought lead shot was banned because the birds were eating it. I never understood that because ducks and geese go upland (where lead is not banned) to feed, too. I stopped using one of my shot pouches because it sprung a leak. I've since discovered that the good old-fashioned hard weights work great for me. One of these days I'm going to pack them all off to work (where there's a scale) and find out what they all really weigh. Guess I'll have to take the stamps down to the scale for this. Oh, and, what about bismuth?

I don't think we're quite to the point where we have to mix concrete or chisel at rocks quite yet.:D

On the other hand I was thinking about making my own weights as my LDS suggested I pay something like $147 for two strap weight belts and 30lb of (hard) weights. :shakehead:I know shipping costs are high and all that but it seems I'd be a lot better off buying a mold and going by the junkyard/tire dept. at wal mart and asking around for some scrap lead.

Any thoughts on making one's own hard weights to fit on a belt? The mold I'm looking at right now is made by Trident and can produce max 4.5lb weights. I have access to a coal forge in my brother's blacksmith shop (just his little hobby) but no torch to cut bigger pieces of scrap lead down to size. Also, what type of container do you use for melting? Is an iron bowl/pot sufficient or do you need a ceramic crucible of some kind?

Thanks,

Will

Last edited:
I have been casting dive weights for a year or so. I found a 2# mold on e-bay and like Sinbad, I have the pot, dipper etc from bullet casting.

I got into it from a slightly different direction, recycling. I used to "mine" fiiring ranges for "lead" and recycle wheel weights for raw material and then cast bullets for reloading (Cheap). Sinbad, sounds like you have been mining too.

Of late I have been "recycling" the lead foil from dental x-rays. My dentist previously had to bag these and pay someone to "dispose" of them. I was making them into 1# ingots and and using them for trading material with local Black Powder shooters. Now they go into my pot and become shiny 2# belt weights. I use some of the weights and some I give away.

I also find that the 1# ingots work well for trim weights (as Sinbad mentioned).

I second Roatanman's comments about research and safety. I melt on a camp stove, but OUTSIDE only to avoid the fumes. Also Molten Lead and Water DO NOT MIX. Reloading sites are a good place to look. Googling "bullet casting safety" works well.

With the rising cost of lead, and the high prices being charged by New York City dive shops (even Leisure Pro), I decided to follow up an Ebay ad for scuba weights.
The ad offered to make any amount or size of molded weights for $1.75 lb. shipping included with a 20lb order minimum in any configuration!
So I contacted 'Tony' in Advance, NC and he said he had a little cottage industry going making weights for dive shops and thus his offering on Ebay.
He said he cleaned out the impurities while melting the lead and that the quality he obtained was good. Ok then, so I ordered 50lb for myself, the GF, son, and any buddies I dive with in need of weights (you know who you are...lol).
The configuration I ordered was as follows:
4x5 lbs =20 lbs
3x4 lbs =12 lbs
4x3 lbs =12 lbs
2x2 lbs =4 lbs
2x1 lbs =2 lbs
----------------------
Total: 50 lbs.
Cost including shipping was $87.50 delivered within a week by Parcel Post, in one box in excellent condition. Weights perfectly formed and marked with #lb's, and smooth edges all the way around... perfect.

I then cleaned them with a vinegar solution, an idea I thank those on the SB for.
Dried them, and spray painted them with 'Radiator paint' , black of course.
Gave them a good coat all over and let them dry thoroughly.
Then I got a little OCD, and coated them with 'Tool Dip', black of course...lol. A couple of coats yielded nice results, and I used a razor blade to shave any dried drippings off of the weights and followed that with a touchup and a complete day of drying/curing.
I now have a 50lb set of gorgeous weights that are "environmentally" sealed, and are beautiful to behold. Two cuts of two inch webbing and stainless steel buckles from "Wreck Divers Supply" and a weight bag to store it all (Akona), and I'm ready for buoyancy checks.
I will say, I put several hours into the finishing job over two days, as it was a project I had to see through, and I am happy with the results. If I factored my labor, the tool dip, and radiator paint into the total cost it may not have saved any $ over the LDS, but it's done and I'm pleased with the final product.
Irony is, with my SS bp/w, HP130, and Fusion suit, I only need 10lbs on the belt, I might even try 8lbs...needless to say I have plenty of quality lead.

Also, I've never had such good traction on my car, as now I tote around 50 lbs of lead weight, double HP130's, and 2 AL80's 24/7. But, if you see me at Dutch Springs or the NYC dive boats and you need to borrow some lead, don't hesitate to ask...:bonk:

Ok, so I don't know the present state of Tony's business (I ordered in May), but either search Ebay, or try contacting:
Tony Edwards
336-940-5923
tluvskt@yahoo.com
If he's not doing it anymore, I would think someone will give it a go.

All the best,
Geoff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom