A Question, and an Opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Malibu, CA is where I spend most of my dive time.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Why is everyone keeping the monster bugs? I use a 5/7 rule, (5 pound female/7 pound male), research indicates these size lobsters are 40+ years old. I have heard and seen more photos of huge bugs this year than I had in the last three combined.

My way of thinking, a bug this size is a photo op only, If I have to buy new cookware, I'm not keeping it.

Again this is just my opinion, I'm not trolling here. If you're good enough to catch a monster like that, you should be good enough to get your limit, and 7 2-3 pounders is a feast.

So, in all seriousness, why are they being kept? No flames, please, just tell me your reasons.

I agree - leave the large ones in the ocean. I don't have a license, but when I get one I don't want to be that guy smiling with the huge lobster next to my car. I figure is a lobster has lived 40 years it deserves a better fate than dying in my trunk or boiling on my stove top.

The bigger the better. Just like fishing, or hunting. My wife and I consumed a 9.5 pounder last night, talk about eating good!

Kyle

Check this link.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/status/ca_spiny_lobster.pdf

Females can live up to 20 years, males up to 30.
I posted some of the pix you are probably referring to. When I first got certified, my plan was to catch a few bugs rather than paying $20 for one in a restaurant. I didn't take any during my first 650 dives because I would only see a few legals on each dive. Later, I met some buddies who were kind enough to show me where the bugs are. There are places around Palos Verdes where I can find over 100 lobsters per dive, and a few places where I can always find some bigguns. Last month I took two that weighd 6 1/2 pounds each. That was more than double my previous record of three pounds. Saturday I found a 9 1/2 pounder. My first bug that filled my game bag by itself. Last season was my biggest take year. I caught twelve lobsters. I know of many divers who will routinely take 6-7 legal size bugs from Flat Rock almost every week. These smaller bugs would have had 15-20 years of breeding ahead of them, while the larger ones would only have a few. By taking smaller bugs you are potentially reducing the number of future lobster populations at a much greater rate than someone who takes an occasional trophy size bug. Also, as lobsters get to be very large they become canibalistic and eat the smaller bugs.

Hi TJ did your research include my questions below:

Does a 10+lb lobster still reproduce?

To me I would "think" the 5lb females you say are ok to take are the biggest reproducers?

I have no problem being more selective if your data is correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom