A Question for "Mature" Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might have a look at the Philippines. There are direct flights from Vancouver to Manila and total travel time in many cases is less than to the Caribbean because you avoid the layover in Houston or New York. I have pretty much given up on the Caribbean because the diving (for me) is so much better in South East Asia and getting to the Philippines is actually easier and quicker than many destinations in the Caribbean. Belize, Saba, Roatan, Cayman all come to mind. Indonesia not so much, but the diving there is so much better than the Caribbean that I will endure the long flights.
Really? I am very interested in diving PI. After a couple of Thailand trips where the ride across the Pacific (12 hours) nearly killed me a decade ago. Can you tell me more about your travels there? Airlines? Best locations? Places to stay?

Being on the wrong side of 60, I find the long haul flights more and more challenging. Stopovers help, but still equate to more time in and out of airports. I have a bucket list which includes Indonesia but am not crazy about the 30+ hours it will take to get there.

So, for those of you over 60, are you still keen to take long haul flights to far off destinations, or are you more comfortable with trips to the Caribbean/Hawaii/Central America, etc?

I’m on the short side of 70 and will turn the big 70 on the bucket list trip to Komodo, Raja Ampat, and Triton Bay

I’m very lucky to have miles to get Business on the long hauls

Really? I am very interested in diving PI. After a couple of Thailand trips where the ride across the Pacific (12 hours) nearly killed me a decade ago. Can you tell me more about your travels there? Airlines? Best locations? Places to stay?

Have only been to the Philippines once so far so limited experience but Philippines Airlines flies direct to Manila from Vancouver. Did a liveaboard from Coron to Anilo stopping at Apo reef and then a week at Dumagette. Coron has wrecks, lots of them. Anilo has muck diving, very similar to Lembeh in what you can see. Dumagette has a bit of everything.

Flight times might kill you however. The direct flight is 14 hours. Faster than the Caribbean if you have to do any layover, but a long single flight. Once you are there travel within the country is pretty short.

For long distances, I prefer strategic layovers when I can plan them. I can also nod out pretty good on a long flight. If you can afford to spring for business class, that helps or if you have miles for upgrades. There are a couple of services that book first and biz class to major destinations so you have to work around say Singapore or Narita. With good planning I have been able to get biz class for half the cost of published rates. Bottom line is who wants to arrive on your first day of diving in Indonesia so tired you can't stay awake...?

I’m on the short side of 70 and will turn the big 70 on the bucket list trip to Komodo, Raja Ampat, and Triton Bay

I’m very lucky to have miles to get Business on the long hauls
For long distances, I prefer strategic layovers when I can plan them. I can also nod out pretty good on a long flight. If you can afford to spring for business class, that helps or if you have miles for upgrades. There are a couple of services that book first and biz class to major destinations so you have to work around say Singapore or Narita. With good planning I have been able to get biz class for half the cost of published rates. Bottom line is who wants to arrive on your first day of diving in Indonesia so tired you can't stay awake...?
I liken arriving after a long-haul in coach, to arriving feeling that you've been beaten with a baseball bat.

I liken arriving after a long-haul in coach, to arriving feeling that you've been beaten with a baseball bat.

Here's where we differ, given the feeling I have after a long-haul flight in coach, that would feel like a relief! :eek:

I've taken lots of flights (over 50) from the east coast of the US to Asia, particularly Japan. I lived in Japan for 7 years. Below are my recommendations for easing the pain, even in coach:

1. If at all possible, don't do a 10 day dive package to Asia from the US or Europe. You will barely be over jet lag before you need to turn around to go home. If you're retired or have loads of vacation time, go for at least a month. Hit several bucket list spots on the same trip. Fly to somewhere at or near the time zone where you'll be doing most of your diving. Spend the first week looking around, meeting people and getting used to the time zone. Next, go diving. Go to another area and do more diving. Now you've completely adjusted to the time zone and starting to settle in to your new life style. If you've been diving in the Philippines, it's now a short flight over to Palau. From there another short flight to Truk. Flying now is a pleasure. Look for liveaboards with discounted last minute openings. I did 12 days in Raja Ampat, 20% off and free nitrox by booking two weeks before departure. We only had 4 guests on a 120 ft. Phinisi boat that holds 16 guests. All these insane dive spots are just a few hours flight from each other... once you're actually in that region.

2. As soon as you book your long flight, try to get an emergency row exit seat, even if you have to pay extra. This becomes crucial for flights over 7 hours. I did a 15 hour flight from LA to Hong Kong recently and I paid about $100 more for an exit seat in coach. This seat had no seats in front of me. Therefore, I had more leg room than business class and could get out of my seat without disturbing anyone. Worth every penny.

3. Depending on the flight, bring your own food. US cross-country flights serve next to nothing. I usually bring a really nice Italian sub cut into sections... or whatever will make you happy and doesn't require refrigeration.

4. When flying in Asia, avoid US carriers. Carriers such as Singapore Air, ANA, JAL, etc. are WAY better. For example, I was flying from Jakarta on, technically, American Airlines to Los Angeles. I was able to get on ANA flights that were a code share with American. If you want to see how service is done right, take an ANA flight. Also, the food is better and there's more of it. Again, get an exit row whenever possible.

5. Get a phone that is unlocked. This means when you arrive in Jakarta, you can get a sim card that works locally and probably has a data plan. When in Japan, I get a portable wifi in the airport and use that to make calls, access the internet, etc. It costs about $8 day. You can do this in most countries.

6. If you're stuck in an airport due to a delay, etc.... ask if you can get into the airline's lounge. You'll be charged a fee but it will probably be worth it. I allowed myself to be bumped off of a Delta flight to Tokyo (got $800 in Amazon credit) but had to wait 5 hours for next flight. Went to Delta lounge, gave them my story, and they said I could use the lounge for $50. Bangin wifi, free food & alcohol, nice big comfy seats, beautiful shower facilities with towels, bathrobe, soap, shampoo, etc. Again, worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom