A question from an 11 year old.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Working through dive principles with the kids. We were discussing safety stops and out of air and emergency ascents.
Mr 11 pipes up and says --"Well dad if your tanks empty and you're out of aur why not take a breath off your BCD?"
danged if I can think of one single solitary reason why not. --I'm reluctant to use the donkeys backside analogy

When I taught my young kids to dive, they were taught to carry and use a 6 cu-ft pony bottle. The weight is negligible as is the drag and I would like you to expalin to a 11 yr old why he doesn't have to use a pony...

Y'all are grossing me out more than a little . . . :yuck:

Am I the only one that throws a little bleach in a bucket of water to swish out my BC before rinsing several times for storage? :idk:

If you do that too much your harness will change color and become pink.

DC

I didn't see this personally, but I remember a story about some French divers who would overweight themselves, and then gear up, take a deep drag on their cigarettes and exhale into their BCDs so that they could take a solitary puff at depth.

Le Français ? Ils sont tous fous.

Y'all are grossing me out more than a little . . . :yuck:

Am I the only one that throws a little bleach in a bucket of water to swish out my BC before rinsing several times for storage? :idk:

A tablespoon of Listerine, in the bladder, rinsed and dumped?

If you do that too much your harness will change color and become pink.

DC

Well, october is Brest cancer awareness month! :crafty:

The cartridges contain too little gas to provide much more than a fart at depth. The cartridges could corrode and explode if left in say a car. The mechanisms would fail from corrosion if not well maintained. The threads of the cartridge would seeze up with the detonation mechanism.

They were a relic from when a mae west vest was used which is basically a inflatable pdf that was intended to be activated at the surface.

Remember these were popular before people ever got the idea of taking a pressure gage underwater with them....

The way dives were done with the old Mae West a fart at depth was all you needed.

The CO2 emergency inflation was actually made for emergency inflation on the surface in case you were out of breath (older oral inflation only Mae West) or out of air (new fangeled oral/hose inflated BCD). Could come in handy now considering the accident board "he came to the surface then sank", but if you didn't drop your weights may be you wouldn't detonate the CO2 either.

Never had a problem with them, but I maintain and service my own gear.

Now look here, anyone I dove with, and I, would have given a valuable right body part to be able to have an SPG. First someone has to design them and then someone has to make them. When they were available at a reasonable price, we snapped them up. I have never been unintentionally out of air since. Hell, I just read my tank pressure 'cause I can.

The only problem with the emergency inflation I ever had began with me and a buddy deciding to SCUBA dive out of a canoe. The first dive went well so we climbed back on board and went back for the second tank. After paddling out to the second site, I roll out and the CO2 lanyard catches between me and the edge of the canoe and detonates the cartridge. I was a cross between a puffer fish and Sam Kinison.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I didn't see this personally, but I remember a story about some French divers who would overweight themselves, and then gear up, take a deep drag on their cigarettes and exhale into their BCDs so that they could take a solitary puff at depth.

WOW :confused: :shakehead:

You know you have a problem when? :idk:

LOL, maybe so. Not just the French. I have heard of locals experimenting with the same. Insisting they would invent a (bio filter type) in line smoking device. "Tout le Monde sont tous fous." Close? (not sure if "tout" is singular or plural. In any event, I am tip toeing backwards quietly out of the room.)

XS, help us Man. I'm struggling with my HS French and the Italian I learned from my mom. "French are very (f'ing) nuts", n'est-ce pas? That came out wrong. I was asking about the translation. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom