A question from an 11 year old.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking about this thread last night, and realized I hadn't commented on how cool it is that the 11 year old was THINKING . . . looking at the problem, and trying to analyze what the options are. That's a great quality, to be encouraged!

Back in the day before sea view gauges, many of us started our dives with our j-valve in the down position. With unbalanced regulators, ,when it got stiffer to breath, we knew it was time to ascend. Of course the ambient pressure at whatever depth told you when to leave off the bottom. We still used our navy dive tables and the 120 rule. Thankfully there was no such thing as pesky safety stops and ~60 ft ascents were the norm. I was never bent, but then I was a teenager.

1st go back to the books rule #1 don't run out of air?
2nd as you sink to the bottom before you die you lived what a few minutes longer? bugs in your BCD? man Id be more worried about meeting my maker if you buy into that than bugs in my bladder

Hey folks lets not turn this into a peeing match -Gosh a question by an 11 year old thinking through situations is all it is. Yea he will never be in an OOA whilst I'm around but as TS and M said -- AINT it fantastic that an 11 year old is thinking things through and looking for options in a difficult situation.

Y'all are grossing me out more than a little . . . :yuck:

Am I the only one that throws a little bleach in a bucket of water to swish out my BC before rinsing several times for storage? :idk:

I bleach my wing out too, after reading an article about a guy getting a massive lung infection from breathing from his wing I got the bleach bottle out.

Here is the article:
Think twice before breathing off a bag - Divernet

XS, help us Man. I'm struggling with my HS French and the Italian I learned from my mom. "French are very (f'ing) nuts", n'est-ce pas? That came out wrong. I was asking about the translation. :D

Oh. HAHA. Well to even think of doing something like that is nuts!!! :rofl3:

Woa these guys are like sea sponges. they absorb info at a huge rate.
They utterly get the concept of the bends and why you need surface intervals. Geez I wish I could absorb stuff as fast as they do

But you should never have to worry about it, because if you ever do have an out of air emergency, you will (should) always be close enough to your buddy to just reach over and use his alternate air source."

... but if you've just breathed your own tank dry, how much air do you think your buddy's gonna have ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom