A question regarding sidemount diving in coldwater / warm water / single cylinder use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one-a nomad xt for tropical and cold- the rear clips are high and really best for steels so in tropical with wet suit I use an additional waist belt with d rings positioned mid hip so I get a lower attachment point and reduce the lift on ali tanks - its not perfect but f you can't afford multiple sets of gear then it work

I dive 80% in cold waters. In theory this could be an option, but i think it just isn't worth the money for the comparatively small amount of dives i do in warm waters.
I do same, and got same consierations. I do SM in warm waters like Egypt. But allways aluminium tanks, and two tanks. I am avoiding it here (in Denmark) as I would have t reconfigre the harness/BCD a lot. And backagain, when going on holliday. The regulator rigging dont need to be changed, as two tanks is just great. But also fear the "clip on" with big gloves and all. Would definately use steel tanks here, as I need around 20kgs of weight. Ole

With steel tanks you will find you probably want a buttplate with rails you wont really need this with your travel AL single tank diving. I am running the xdeep stealth classic (mexico style rig) as my primary travel rig AL tanks normally but I have used it with steel 120s, for colder water steel tanks or more than 2 tanks I like my nomad with a buttplate.

If I may, first you should really determine the amount of lift you'll need that will influence the rig you choose. You may find the rec wing a better fit for lift and adjustability as it has adjustable straps, that reduces a bit of adjustment time. The size is smaller than the tec so better for warm (but does it meet your min lift requirements?). You might even get by with just the classic which would be ideal. I have several stealths and there's no way I would use the tec in warm water, its huge. I have a small 20# travel rig I use, can be put together for little money. Just my 2PSI.

If I may, first you should really determine the amount of lift you'll need that will influence the rig you choose. You may find the rec wing a better fit for lift and adjustability as it has adjustable straps, that reduces a bit of adjustment time. The size is smaller than the tec so better for warm (but does it meet your min lift requirements?). You might even get by with just the classic which would be ideal. I have several stealths and there's no way I would use the tec in warm water, its huge. I have a small 20# travel rig I use, can be put together for little money. Just my 2PSI.

Good point, thank you. You mentioned that the tec bladder is too huge for warm water. But isn't the tec more necessary in warm water due to the lack of additional lift from the drysuit you have in cold water? Meanwhile i did my OW Sidemount course and it was great. Definitely want to move into sidemount. I will probably buy a stealth 2.0 but not sure which bladder fits best for me. I like the idea of adjustable straps on the rec harness but not sure if these strap adjustment possibilty is even necessary and unsure as well if the lift capacity from the rec is sufficient for deeper dives in warm water (max. 40m).

So you think the tec bladder is not a good option for both warm and cold water diving?

Btw, how about having two bladders (e.g. rec and tec) and switch them before going on warm water holidays? Or is this too inconvenient?

Btw thank you guys for all your replies so far, i'm glad for the help that is provided in here.

I have the classic bladder and I used it in warm salt water at 40m carrying 4x al80. No issues there.

Good point, thank you. You mentioned that the tec bladder is too huge for warm water. But isn't the tec more necessary in warm water due to the lack of additional lift from the drysuit you have in cold water? Meanwhile i did my OW Sidemount course and it was great. Definitely want to move into sidemount. I will probably buy a stealth 2.0 but not sure which bladder fits best for me. I like the idea of adjustable straps on the rec harness but not sure if these strap adjustment possibilty is even necessary and unsure as well if the lift capacity from the rec is sufficient for deeper dives in warm water (max. 40m).

So you think the tec bladder is not a good option for both warm and cold water diving?

Btw, how about having two bladders (e.g. rec and tec) and switch them before going on warm water holidays? Or is this too inconvenient?
Drysuit lift and wing lift should be considered separate to ensure redundancy.......so, in warm water I use less lead and the wing can be smaller. But warm water tec depths require a redundant source (bladder, lift bag etc).

I definitely recommend 2 bladders, if cost isn’t a factor. I travel with a 20# and dive local with the tec. Switching Is a bit of a pain because the tec is harness mounted but its worth it.

Figure out your max neg for cold water and if it’s under 35# (most likely) just get the classic and your done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom