A reminder about deep air/ or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
doing deep dives on air - it all goes well until it doesn't, question we ask ourselves is despite the fact we know we are under the influence can we resolve problems when they arise.
I had a situation last week that happened unexpectedly, after completing a deep dive on trimix we were heading up and at 65m I suddenly inhaled a mouth full of water, thinking i had just bumped it and some water had crept in I blew it back expecting to clear it and take another breath - same result , straight away I knew what the problem was. The mouthpiece had disconnected and my 2nd stage was down by my side.
A quick switch and a minute to fiddle the mouthpiece back on and continue (tentatively) to my next gas bottle.
We discussed the incident later and the question was asked if I was not on trimix and pretty clear headed what could have been a different outcome. Swallowed more water, panic, grab wrong gas reg ?
The other consideration is muscle memory and gear set up -I dive sidemount 90% of the time and reg swapping and gear set up is well ingrained
So just to put an exclamation mark on it and reminder to myself and others look for weakness in your dive plan to see if there's a potential for cascading events

I dived doubles setups for deep dives. My backup reg is always under my chin. After many drills, that information is ingrained. I also maintain my gear and would notice a loose mouthpiece prior to a dive. Even if I was diving deep air, I believe I could switch mouthpieces without issue.

@lermontov Curious how your mouthpiece was secured and what actually failed?
The rubber mouthpiece that slides on to the plastic orifice of the 2nd stage it's held on with a zip tie

What does a failure to perform an adequate pre-dive check and failure to maintain dive gear have to do with air versus helium?

I like to use string to tie the mouth piece on, rather than rely on a zip tie exclusively.

I've had that happen to me years ago. No idea what became of the zip tie that day. It was early in my dive days and the only explanation that I've been able to come up with was perhaps it had happened during servicing. There's no way for me to tell, in that, I don't know if I had had my reg serviced before that trip or not.

Now I know better and like some others, the zip is something that I check.

Regardless, none of our zip tie habits are really the point of OP's post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom