A sorta call without being called

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well we almost, might have been, maybe should have been, could have been called out.

It seems that this guy drives his vehicle, with expired plates, to a local north end boat ramp. He unloads his kayak, puts on waders (?), dons a PFD, loads up his cell phone and other goodies and takes off across the lake.

Lets not wear any proper gear like stuff designed for the cold. Even gloves would have helped insulate him from the 34.6df water. That stuff takes up space when your saving room for brewskies and maybe what we suspected to be some stolen stuff.

So on the way back, and still a couple of paddling miles out the kayak decides to be renamed Titanic. Yup, she’s a filling up and the excess moisture is not helping Mister Paddler stay very dry or very afloat for that matter.

So he pulls out his trusty Lloyd Bridges super secret cell phone and with shivering fingers manages to hit 911. This is 911, what’s your emergency? TELL MY KIDS I LOVE THEM. My kayak is sinking. Where you at? On the lake and I can see this and that way off in the distance.

Dispatch, after some confusion, manages to page out the Marine Deputies. One of our patrolmen, who just made the team but isn’t certified yet, rolls with one of the Marine boys while the other is still in route.

Now try to find a bobbing head in a lake as big a Coeur d’Alene. Luckily a lake front resident see the skipper of the Titanic. So in an act of kindness they respond to render assistance.

Our patrol boat beats them to the scene and grabs a hold of Captain Smith (who by the way didn’t really go down with the Titanic).

This guy is so cold he has lost almost all voluntary functions. This made the team FNG happy because now they don’t know how they are going to get this guy out of the water. They happened to take one of the very few boats without a dive platform or ladder for the rescue.

So after some tugs, jerks, pulls, pushes and blown hemorrhoids they get him out and onto the fireboat for treatment and transport to the hospital. He was described as being a biggin and being wet didn’t help any.

So then they concentrate on salvaging the kayak. Hummmmm, will some people return to their lake front property and find some items missing? Just some odd items to be packing in a kayak for a paddle across the lake.

Oh well, he’s safe for now. Thanks to a PFD and his Lloyd Bridges Super Secret Cell Phone he survived. Otherwise I would be down 125’ in some PP visibility instead of typing this.

He was in that 34.6df water for over 30 minutes with minimal thermal protection. I’m sure he won’t be “standing” at the toilet for a while. :D

Gary D.

LOL!

I love your stories 'cause I can see it so well in my mind.

BTW, did they, or did they not recover the Titanic and it's booty? If not, where is it, exactly? :54:

Funny. What an idiot.

This is why I am going into medicine. Stupid people are job-security.

A

Did they remove the waders before trying to get him out of the water? Talk about a built in anchor :)

I think I am going to apply for a research Grant from uncle sam. So I can study The "close to water sudden drop in IQ phenomenon" :D

Rick Inman:
LOL!

I love your stories 'cause I can see it so well in my mind.

BTW, did they, or did they not recover the Titanic and it's booty? If not, where is it, exactly? :54:
YUP! U B outta luck dis time.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom