A TALE OF TWO SCUBA DEATHS (invitation to further discussion)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The deaths of Guy Garman & Lynne Flaherty moved me, and in different ways. And when I get moved like that, I write. What I offer here is the lead article in my September newsletter about the two accidents and what we can learn from them. (This goes out to about 2,000 people on my regular e-mailing list.) I offer it here in hopes of furthering (and maybe even consolidating) the discussions already going on.

- Ken
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A TALE OF TWO SCUBA DEATHS

One senseless, one perplexing. We'll start with the stupid one.

Dr. Guy Garman, known by the nickname of "Doc Deep," died in mid-August during an attempt to dive to a depth of 1200 feet. That's not a typo: twelve hundred feet. This was supposed to be some sort of a "world record" attempt that they were hoping the Guinness Book of records would recognize. Garman started his dive at 6AM, was supposed to rendezvous with a support team 38 minutes later at a depth of over 300 feet, but never showed up. His body and gear were recovered the next day, presumably still attached to the descent line he followed down to his demise.

Although hindsight is 20/20, there were many problems with this plan from the outset. First of all, Garman had only been doing technical diving for about four or five years, hardly enough to warrant such an extreme dive. On top of that, his previous personal record depth was 815 feet. So this attempt was 50% deeper than he'd ever gone before.

For comparison, the previous record was set about a year ago at 1,090 by Ahmed Gabr in the Red Sea. Gabr, however, had about 17 years of tech diving experience under his belt and had spent four years training and preparing for his record-setting dive.

Even more worrisome about Garman's fatal dive, is that he was publicizing it beforehand and was being told by other deep-dive experts in the field that his plan was flawed, his training and experience were inadequate, and that he would likely die if he went ahead with the attempt. But, there's a Darwin Award Winner born regularly and Garman simply ignored everything he was being told and pushed ahead with what would become his last dive.

Then there's his "support" team. They refer to Garman even after his death, as one of the most knowledgeable and best deep divers on the planet. Needless to say, many have taken issue with that but it really underscores another issue here which is that of Group-Think. In other words, instead of trying to analyze a plan and discover possible problems, everyone becomes a cheerleader instead of a skeptic, and assumes all will be well instead of trying to anticipate what could go wrong.

There are lessons here for those of us who confine ourselves to the recreational world. The first is that just because nothing bad happened on a previous dive, it doesn't mean that the plan was good to begin with. You may have just gotten lucky.

This dive also underscores the immense value of really asking yourself and analyzing "What could go wrong and what would my options be" prior to any dive. Whether it's you doing that for yourself or someone else doing it with you, part of the goal should be to discover what's wrong with the plan (even if it's something as simple as 30 feet for 30 minutes) and how can those risks be minimized.

But a big lesson here is also that ego and hubris can be a fatal combination. We are not the Little Engine That Could when we're diving. We're fragile human beings in an alien environment that won't think twice about chewing us up and spitting us out.

The other fatality is perplexing because the victim was the antithesis of Garman. She was careful, thoughtful, cautious, aware of her limits, and meticulously planned for every dive.

Lynne Flaherty was diving with her husband Peter at a place called Duncan Rocks which is almost on the US/Canadian border above Seattle. It's a fairly advanced boat dive but they hit it on what sounds like a pretty good day, with generally favorable weather and surface conditions. Both Lynne and Peter were diving in drysuits and equipped with plenty of gas for the dive, as well as surface markers buoys, Nautilus Lifelines, Dive Alerts, and the like in case things should go wrong.

According to Peter, they entered together and descended as a team. As they passed by an underwater ridge, they hit a downdraft current which took them down to about 115. Lynne was below Peter at that time by 10-15 feet. They both came up to 85 feet to stabilize but this time, Lynne was slightly above Peter but he could see her venting her drysuit. Peter says the viz was good for the area (but probably 20-30 feet) and the current was fast.

At this point Peter says he turned away for just a moment. When he looked back, Lynne was nowhere to be seen. He said from his depth of 80 feet, he could see the sun through the surface above but there was no sight of Lynne. Peter looked around at depth for about a minute and, following their agreed-upon diver separation plan, Peter surfaced, fully expecting that Lynne would either be there or would surface shortly after he did. She never made it back up and as of this writing (Monday afternoon - six days after the accident), her body has still not been found.

I want to preface all that follows with this thought: I don't think they did anything wrong. I did a non-peer-reviewed study a few years ago of three years worth of DAN fatality stats. I separated deaths into three categories: diver error (69%), medical (25%), and bad luck (6%). I think this accident may fall into the last category. It certainly does not appear to be obvious diver error.

The big question here is what happened that prevented Lynne from surfacing when Peter was able to, under similar conditions. Because Lynne was a frequent contributor and moderator on ScubaBoard (her screen name was TSandM), there's been a lengthy and lively discussion there about this. There's some speculation that she suffered some sort of a medical problem. There's other information that she occasionally suffered from vertigo and the downcurrent and then fighting it could have triggered that. No one really knows.

But everyone agrees that this is the LAST person you would have expected to die in a diving accident. And that's the take-away from this accident: Unlike Garman, you can seemingly do everything right and be prepared for all possibilities and it still may not be enough. And that's something that's important not only for you to understand but also for your loved ones to understand. It's a risky sport in which we engage. 99% of the time, everything comes out all right, even when we've done stupid things. But occasionally, circumstances may overwhelm us and there will be nothing we can do about it.

I have no real idea of what happened here, only guesses. I've got to believe - partly because she and I participated in discussions about this - that if she were conscious, she would have eventually ditched her weightbelt and inflated her drysuit or BC and even if she passed out, would have reached the surface. The fact that her Nautilus Lifeline, which presumably was working, was never activated says to me that she never made it back up. Why that is will remain a mystery, at least until her body is recovered and an autopsy can possibly reveal some clues.

But I give you these two stories not because I want to send you into a state of despair thinking "It doesn't matter what I do" but because there are lessons here. The ones from Garman seem fairly obvious. The ones from Lynne are a lot more subtle. Would there have been a way to backtrack out of the downcurrent? Should they have held on to one another? Should they have simply ditched weights right away and ascended? Again, I'm not implying Lynne or Peter did anything wrong. But simply that these are things we look at with hindsight and hopefully they get you thinking about things you can look at with foresight, if you don't do so already.

I think, in hindsight, you can come up with things that if done (or not done) might have changed the outcome but it's very subjective to draw that line as to whether it's reasonable to expect those things to have been done.

In a hostile environment don't lose sight of your dive buddy if it's possible for that dive buddy to disappear from your sight otherwise.

Is that a reasonable thing to expect in every circumstance? Subjective.

Don't dive in an environment in which you aren't physically capable of maintaining control of yourself. Is it reasonable to know whether you can do this or not before you enter the water? Subjective.

You can still die due to medical issues even if you were in control and even if your buddy did keep you in sight.

I would just say that we all can die underwater because sometimes the margin of safety on a particular dive just turned out to be less than our personal margin of error.

But I give you these two stories not because I want to send you into a state of despair thinking "It doesn't matter what I do" but because there are lessons here. The ones from Garman seem fairly obvious. The ones from Lynne are a lot more subtle. Would there have been a way to backtrack out of the downcurrent? Should they have held on to one another? Should they have simply ditched weights right away and ascended? Again, I'm not implying Lynne or Peter did anything wrong. But simply that these are things we look at with hindsight and hopefully they get you thinking about things you can look at with foresight, if you don't do so already.

Lovely post, Ken, thank you.

I don't know how many divers have ever been in a down current but it can be very scary.

I was diving on Elphinstone reef a few years ago when I found myself in a downcurrent. Coincidentally I was in a drysuit even though the water was 24C because we intended to make many dives in the course of a week and I took my drysuit so I could make many repetitive dives without feeling cold.

Normally the current that hits Elphinstone reef, which is an enormous oblong shaped pinnacle rising up from the sea floor at maybe anywhere between 50 and 100 meters, catches the current from north to south. That makes it a nice drift dive. On the day in question, the current for some odd reason, was running south to north, which hits the pinnacle broadside due to it's form. The water has to go somewhere so it either goes up or down.

The fact is that we knew this but we decided to dive it anyway. There were 6 divers selected to go, all of whom had 700+ dives and all of whom had advanced certifications. Lynne would have fit in this profile.

Fast-forward to the dive. I had agreed with my buddy to stay at about 10m for the first part of the dive. Normally one would dive very deep on this pinnacle to see the sharks but with the current the way it was, I wanted to take a wait-and-see approach. We were drifting along at 8m when a little bit ahead of us I saw some fish with their heads pointed toward the surface and tails down, swimming as hard as they could. I signed my buddy to look but it was too late. I hit the downcurrent.

In a matter of seconds my depth went from 8m to 25m.

Logic and training took over. I *hammered* the inflator with the left hand with the other hand on my nose to clear and swam away from the reef as hard as I could go at 90 degrees to the current until it released me. I stabilized at 25m, re-established contact with my buddy who was a few meters away and had experienced the same, and we ascended back up to about 10m again before trying to re-establish contact with the reef.

A little later in the dive the group had re-assembled and taken "refuge" behind a feature in the rock where we could stay out of the current and the guide launched his DSMB. It literally launched horizontally for several metres until it started going to the surface at about a 30 percent angle. The divers all held on to each other and the DM held on to the line while we ascended so we would reach the surface together.

This is the only experience I have had in downcurrent but it's a very challenging phenomenon.

Do I think Lynne could have handled a downcurrent like this? Absolutely. I don't think she would have enjoyed it but she certainly had the skills to deal with it.

R..

Lovely post, Ken, thank you.

I don't know how many divers have ever been in a down current but it can be very scary.

I was diving on Elphinstone reef a few years ago when I found myself in a downcurrent. Coincidentally I was in a drysuit even though the water was 24C because we intended to make many dives in the course of a week and I took my drysuit so I could make many repetitive dives without feeling cold.

Normally the current that hits Elphinstone reef, which is an enormous oblong shaped pinnacle rising up from the sea floor at maybe anywhere between 50 and 100 meters, catches the current from north to south. That makes it a nice drift dive. On the day in question, the current for some odd reason, was running south to north, which hits the pinnacle broadside due to it's form. The water has to go somewhere so it either goes up or down.

The fact is that we knew this but we decided to dive it anyway. There were 6 divers selected to go, all of whom had 700+ dives and all of whom had advanced certifications. Lynne would have fit in this profile.

Fast-forward to the dive. I had agreed with my buddy to stay at about 10m for the first part of the dive. Normally one would dive very deep on this pinnacle to see the sharks but with the current the way it was, I wanted to take a wait-and-see approach. We were drifting along at 8m when a little bit ahead of us I saw some fish with their heads pointed toward the surface and tails down, swimming as hard as they could. I signed my buddy to look but it was too late. I hit the downcurrent.

In a matter of seconds my depth went from 8m to 25m.

Logic and training took over. I *hammered* the inflator with the left hand with the other hand on my nose to clear and swam away from the reef as hard as I could go at 90 degrees to the current until it released me. I stabilized at 25m, re-established contact with my buddy who was a few meters away and had experienced the same, and we ascended back up to about 10m again before trying to re-establish contact with the reef.

A little later in the dive the group had re-assembled and taken "refuge" behind a feature in the rock where we could stay out of the current and the guide launched his DSMB. It literally launched horizontally for several metres until it started going to the surface at about a 30 percent angle. The divers all held on to each other and the DM held on to the line while we ascended so we would reach the surface together.

This is the only experience I have had in downcurrent but it's a very challenging phenomenon.

Do I think Lynne could have handled a downcurrent like this? Absolutely. I don't think she would have enjoyed it but she certainly had the skills to deal with it.

R..

Interesting. I too have been caught in a down current, on a reef in St. Lucia where 2 currents were merging, and I (and my OW students) had the bad luck to be caught in the down side instead of the up side.

My DM and certified divers were blown to the surface from safety stop depth. My students and I were doing our dive following the skills portion of OW5 for training and experience, and were at about 30 feet, ready to ascent to 15 feet for our safety stop. Suddenly, there were clouds of bubbles around me (my exhalation bubbles) and since I had the float, my arm was being jerked up. I saw my students plunging to the depths, which was measured in thousands of feet, so I abandoned the reel and went after the students, about 50 feet below me.

I caught the students at some point, grabbed their BC shoulder straps, and motioned for them to inflate. The male did hang on his inflator, the female motioned towards her ear, which was streaming blood, as she had obviously ruptured an eardrum. I could not let go of either diver, the male was providing all the buoyancy for the team, and me and the female were still going down, so I motioned to him to inflate her, which he did. I still didn't realize the extent of the problem, but the down current spit me out at some point, and we all began rocketing to the surface. At this point, I adjusted my own buoyancy, the male had the snap to start venting, the girl was now in extreme pain and unable to do anything, so I let the male go and controlled her and my buoyancy. We stopped at 15 feet for 45 minutes (this was long before I knew any decompression theory) and my computer (a Sherwood ReSource) was flashing 289, as that's all the deeper it reads out.

Meanwhile, my boat crew had called the St. Lucia marine patrol and every dive boat in the vicinity. We were found after running about out of air, we kept enough to inflate on the surface about 2 miles from where we were last seen by our crew.

I only relate this story because I had about 600-1,000 dives at the time, I had no idea what a down current was, nor did I have any idea what to do about it. The 3 of us could easily have died that day. Even though I'm trimix certified now, that is the deepest dive I've ever done. I have no idea of the bottom around Duncan rock, but if it's deep, and Lynne didn't get very positive, she could easily have not taken the steps necessary to get out of a down current. I and my OW students were merely lucky.

thank you for the eye opening and straight forward open letter......thread read and noted.

Interesting. I too have been caught in a down current, on a reef in St. Lucia where 2 currents were merging, and I (and my OW students) had the bad luck to be caught in the down side instead of the up side.

I only relate this story because I had about 600-1,000 dives at the time, I had no idea what a down current was, nor did I have any idea what to do about it. The 3 of us could easily have died that day. Even though I'm trimix certified now, that is the deepest dive I've ever done. I have no idea of the bottom around Duncan rock, but if it's deep, and Lynne didn't get very positive, she could easily have not taken the steps necessary to get out of a down current. I and my OW students were merely lucky.

Holy crap! That's quite a story, and it sounds like if your student hadn't really been on the ball, all three of you might have been lost. I've never been in that situation, and can only hope that if I am, I'll have the same presence of mind...

Thanks, Ken.

I think Lynne's death in particular is extremely troubling because it is one of those rarest of events: an extremely skilled and experienced diver who suffers a fatality on open circuit within recreational depths. The speculation about medical problem I am sure is driven in part by the fact that there is no other likely logical explanation. But even that is a part answer, because many of the medical incident fatalities were accidents waiting to happen - people in poor physical condition doing activities that they should not have been engaging in. Lynne, as an ER doctor who dived regularly, was an unlikely person to fall into that category.

In relation to Guy Garman, I am afraid that as you say that his death was considerably more predictable. I don't think I can add anything to your comments and
the eloquent thread by Doppler listing dozens of reasons why this was a patently foolish endeavour with predictable consequences.

Last edited:
Good post Ken ... thought-provoking.

You can still die due to medical issues even if you were in control and even if your buddy did keep you in sight.

I would just say that we all can die underwater because sometimes the margin of safety on a particular dive just turned out to be less than our personal margin of error.

A good take-away from this event. People should consider that even when in contact with a dive buddy with Rescue training the likelihood of a positive outcome for an underwater medical event is not in your favor. Sometimes bad things just happen ... we're all fragile creatures in an environment we were never designed to be in.

She had the experience and presence of mind to deal with it fairly routinely. This wasn't the first time she'd ever dealt with downcurrent. I have to believe that while it may have been a contributing factor, it was only incidentally so ...

In relation to Guy Garman, I am afraid that as you say that his death was considerably more predictable. I don't think I can add anything to your comments and the eloquent thread by Doppler listing dozens of reasons why this was a patently foolish endeavour with predictable consequences.

Guy Garman's story reminds me of Ben McDaniel ... the young man who disappeared in Vortex (there's some speculation, however, that was staged since his body was never found). Like Guy, Ben thought himself far more skilled than he really was, and made choices that were obviously bad to those with the real-world experience to recognize them. Like Guy, he had cheer-leaders who believed him to be an "expert" at what he was doing. Hubris is a deadly dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks all. Very interesting thread so far. Our sport is certainly not risk free.

We can do our best to stack the odds a bit in our favor through our training, equipment and experience, and even by holding discussions such as this. What we can never do is completely eliminate any risk at all. The water is an unforgiving environment for us human beings, and sometimes things beyond our control, and unexpected can hurt of kill any one of us, or someone we care for.

Last edited:
Never met Garman, but that's a crazy dive to attempt IMHO (and I'm not a particularly "shallow" guy).

I did know Lynne and diver with her and Peter down here on Catalina. For many of us it was a total shock to hear of her disappearance. As you so rightly wrote, Ken, she's one of the last people one would expect to have such a tragedy. Very careful diver. Very sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom