A Testimonial (hard float)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't spearfish, but have been intrigued with the MAKO hard float as a dive marker. We routinely do drift dives here in a 3+ knot river. The tube type floats are a killer as they drag you along, and the pencil type floats get easily pulled under, much to the dismay of the shadow boat.

After a number of interactions over the years here in threads, I finally decided to give it a go and purchase the float/flag/counter weight package, and yesterday we put it to use.

What have I been waiting for all this time? The shape basically cuts through the surface current, and imparts little to no pull on you at all! Plus, it won't pull over/under. Captain of the shadow boat said it made for an easy target to spot also.

Nice product, and I highly recommend it for drift diving.

I did a little modification, installing some rings on the weight/flag belt to allow some clip points to secure items, but that is just something I wanted.....

The boat captain said I am not to use any other float anymore when I dive with them. Hope to use it next week in a group shore dive gathering. I'm sure it will perk some interest.

WELL DONE! :thumb:

Last edited:
This:

upload_2018-6-17_10-14-11.png

Last edited:
@tbone1004

Yeah, my daughter (a lifeguard) and wife (former lifeguard) said that. It is hard shell vs. the soft floats guards use. Likely will thus last a bunch longer.

They really are sweet!

Bob:

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. As some people may know, we only sell our products direct to consumer. We have no wholesale network, no dive shops or other retailers to display, promote or sell our products.

This lowers costs and allows us to significantly reduce retail prices, but it also means that we rely upon word of mouth and social media discussions to make customers aware of the quality of our products and our customer service (something I am also particularly proud of).

I'm very happy you have found this product meets your needs. It is a great float for high current conditions and even in calm water it is easy to pull AND provides hand holds and some flotation at the surface for a tired diver or some other emergency.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to write it up. This review (from an accomplished diver and a well-respected member of the board) just made my Father's Day a little better.

Happy Father's Day Everyone!

dano

I would have bought one a long time ago, but they don't fulfill the legal requirements for dive flags in Minnesota because the flag is too close to the water.

Looks nice! I see from Mako's website:

Specifications: 33” L x 11” W x 5.5”H with a girth of 26.5"

And there's an optional 2 lbs. weight to make it properly upright. Sounds like it'd take up significant room in a checked bag. I imagine most of these are used for local diving, or do lots of people pack them along in distant trips?

Richard.

Looks nice! I see from Mako's website:

Specifications: 33” L x 11” W x 5.5”H with a girth of 26.5"

And there's an optional 2 lbs. weight to make it properly upright. Sounds like it'd take up significant room in a checked bag. I imagine most of these are used for local diving, or do lots of people pack them along in distant trips?

Richard.

local, they have an inflatable for travel, but if you're travelling there should be some from whatever dive center you're using. Don't know anyone that travels with their own dive flags

Yes, hard floats are generally for local diving. We have a lot of spearos who travel to remote areas to engage in the sport. For air travel, we offer several different inflatable options.

The very robust, high pressure floats are nearly as tough as a football. They can hold considerable pressure, so even if a very large fish pulls them underwater, they loose zero buoyancy (until they reach a depth where the inflation pressure matches the surrounding pressure). The smaller, 15 liter float has an optional keel weight and dive flag mounting option.

MHPF-2.jpg

Our Professional float is blown up orally, so they hold only a few psi and are less expensive.

MPIF3-2T.jpg

And we also offer an economical float

MEF-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom