A Testimonial (hard float)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... Some folks passed laws requiring flags in some places, and those laws can just as easily be repealed.
Yeah, I'm gonna repeal the law so I can lose the go***mn flag before I go diving. I looked through NJ rules and regs and I'm now pretty clear on them. Tons of references, but you actually have to read them.

This guy got it right for his state. If you listen carefully, the flag was intended to protect both the diver and boat. Anybody have a similar vid for what I have to deal with in NJ? No, it isn't optional.
...//... Although, I heard the dive-flag-float-makers' lobbyists have huge amounts of money to spend, to make sure that doesn't happen.(G)
"Although, I heard"

Dive-flag-float-makers' lobbyists. That is just special...

Hey Dano,

On the red hard float, can I strap a couple extra 2 pounders to do some buoyancy testing on a a buddies new rig? I'd love to have some extra lead available without having to swim back to the beach.

Yes absolutely, there are handles on the sides and back and it should be easy to tie off a few weights.

Hey, Dano.

We have good history between us, LOVE the cheapie fins! Amazing what a hand grinder will do to thin them out. (Still waiting for one of your lobbyists to wine and dine me though... :wink:)

Anyway, people do dive at night!! Nobody's dive float is worth a s***t at night. Doesn't serve either the boater or diver in the least. Just a CF floating nuisance tied to a CF ball of floaty line. Most of my night dives are spent making sure the ******* flag is happy. If I hear an engine then I'm going down fast.

So, a little chance to express my true feelings. A hard red translucent "floating mine" float with a molded cavity for a dive light that can be set to 'blink'. Really easy, pick a cavity size that fits all the usual LED hand-held dive lights. A loop and a hook at the top of the cavity. Capture a rubber band or BIG O-ring through the loop and secure to the hook. Flashlight stays in place. Fill with water, high powered light cool and happy.

Flag, 12x12 but the stripe is SOLAS.

-I'd buy one and you could retire...

I think our float is too thick to allow much light transmission from the inside outward.

You could probably add some SOLAS reflective tape to the existing flag without too much trouble.

I'm wondering if you could hang one of our small, inexpensive dive lights from the top of the flag without affecting the stability too much. This light has a strobe option.

Detachable Dive Light with mount

MDL-2T.jpg

If you think this might work and you want to try it out, send me a pm and I will get this light out to you for some testing.

Thanks!

Dano

Thanks, but pass on the light. Have a bunch.

It all goes back to forgetting my flag one night. Went to a local NJ "all night" store and bought a cheap red plastic 'waterproof' tackle box and some line. Threw a light in it and called it a dive flag. It lit up something amazing. A light is (unfortunately) directional by design. Throw one in a box and see what happens...

That was my dive flag. Figured I showed due diligence and could talk my way out of the rest. (Don't want my dive stuff confiscated.)

Funny thing was, I never felt safer in the bay that night. Maybe something to think about.

Thanks, I have seen people just stick a cyalume light in an empty milk jug and put the cap back on and tow that behind a float. It does glow pretty well.

Yeah, But you see, a nighttime red visible 'floating mine' float with a SOLAS stripe would be so very useful and 'solo'. Independent. I suppose it is an attitude thing.

I have to drag the stupid useless dark flag just because the law is written that way. I have to do it no matter what so why not make it useful to me from a personal safety standpoint?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom