A very old anchor in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving in Cozumel for several years and during dives on the southern part of the reef I keep running across an very old anchor which I believe is from the 1700 or 1800s. This thing is laying upright against at ledge and I think is on the south end of the Bricks. I have been asking about this thing for the past four years and no one at my usual dive op has even seen it, let alone know anything about it. Anyone here seen this and know anything about it? I may be incorrect about what specific dive site
it’s located on, but it definitely on the southern portion of the reef in a mostly sandy area. TIA

MARK

Last edited:
Is it on Horseshoe? I saw it on last time I was there and the only Palancar sites I dove were Horseshoe and Point. It is cool. No idea what the history is, I have asked before too.

I think you’re right about it being at Horseshoe! Thanks!

26B3F8DE-4EB6-4635-983A-9D66909AAD5B.jpeg 21535874-2150-4D73-8B2E-16EAF54F7CE0.jpeg
Do you have some photos?

Anchor from above.jpg WECH wreck.jpg
I have been diving in Cozumel for several years and during dives on the southern part of the reef I keep running across an very old anchor which I believe is from the 1700 or 1800s. This thing is laying upright against at ledge and I think is on the south end of the Bricks. I have been asking about this thing for the past four years and no one at my usual dive op has even seen it, let alone know anything about it. Anyone here seen this and know anything about it? I may be incorrect about what specific dive site
it’s located on, but it definitely on the southern portion of the reef in a mostly sandy area. TIA

MARK

At one point someone had spelled out "wreck" with the bricks. Or I should say mis-spelled....

I've been looking for my video but no luck so far. This may take a while.

Edit: Found it! Not that I know anything about it... One thing I do know; using an orange filter makes everything green.

Last edited:
I recall seeing that few times and after mentioning it to DMs, they did not really say much about it. I get the impression it's more modern. I'll ask again since you have photos.

I recall seeing that few times and after mentioning it to DMs, they did not really say much about it. I get the impression it's more modern. I'll ask again since you have photos.

If you Google search 'spanish galleon anchor' you will see a LOT of old anchors that look just like one in the above photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom