A Week in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

West Palm Beach for the bridge is not to big of a drive during off rush hour. Rush hour is bad especially on
I95 leaving and going into fort lauderdale. North Lauderdale is a good location. For a night shore dive I would
highly recommend Lauderdale by the Sea from either hibiscus or datura street. A few more parking spots at datura
than hibiscus but during the evening you should miss the beach goers and get a spot. The first reef comes in less
than a piers length from the shore and probably a safe bet for night diving. The second reef comes in at about
1.3 pier lengths and has a more pronounced inside ledge. A bit farther though and for night diving someone new to
the site might be more comfortable with the first reef. Best reef diving from a charter going north is boynton beach, west palm
beach and even farther north with deeper ledges is jupiter. All very good diving !

Well thank you everyone for this information it was really beneficial.

I made a reservation at Marriott Fort Lauderdale North.

Check-in: Sunday, December 25, 2011
Check-out: Friday, December 30, 2011

Anyone around that plans to dive any of those days (26-29th). As I said I prefer evening but would like mostly shore dives so not to limit on times too much.

Are any local laws that I need to know? I would like to catch (or at least try to) some lobsters and/or pole spear some fish while at it (new to both).

also google Gold Coast Scuba as they have daily shore dives planned and frequent charters organized on the weekends

I did and I am in the process of joining their Meetup space. It looks like they have a morning 11:30a and two evening dives that will work for me during that time.

Which boat would you guys suggest if I want to see a wreck or two?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Personally, I like Capt. Tony with Diversity in Hillsboro. Easy access to a lot of wrecks, Sea Emperor is one of the most famous here. Shallow (70ft to the sand) and a lot of friendly critters. It's a bit cheezy for some, but I love the dive! Futher south, try SeaExperience. Never been out on them, but have hear nothing but good. And even further south is Capt. Todd with American Dream. Big boat, and closest to Tennaco Towers (100ft+).

(I hope you are not staying at the Marriott Beach Resort on S. Ft. Lauderdale Beach. I don't think you are, but wanted to thow out that they are not turtle friendly despite advertising they are)

I think the times you are here are good for a dive at Blue Heron Bridge. The manatees should be there by then. Only dive BHB on a high tide. If looking for beach dive buddies, give me a hollar...

Lobstering.. you will need a salt water license and a lobster stamp. It is hit or miss on lobstering. It may be really good, it may be nary one in sight.

Winter diving is very dependent on weather. Can get some really beautiful days or just dang blustery cold-- for us southern folk! LOL

Yes! Shore diving is what I am looking forward the most esp. night dives!

BHB is on my list if I find a buddy yes!

Staying at Marriott Ft. Lauderdale North (just off I-95)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom