A year without shoes in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an awesome thread. I am still tossing around the idea of going to Bonaire or Cozumel for 6 months to a year.

I think it is going to happen, I really do.

But I will have shoes.

SeaJay once bubbled...
Hm.

Can I come down and dive with you for a week and sorta "tail" you and see what your lifestyle is like? :D

Are you married? Have kids? What about "the family?"

Are there any opportunities to really dive (i.e.: Penetrate a wreck at 175 fsw and find stuff) or is it all recreational diving?

What are the rules for motorcycling (streetbikes) on the island? I could not go without my bike.

for technical dives the two main operations are Sunset House and Dive tech.. They both do Tech boat trips but not every day.. the only real deep wreck is the carrie lee, not much to see inside and you CANT take anything.. but it is a fun dive.. stern at 165, beneath the bow at 270 ish, with a vertical drop off beneath it..

On most of the tech trips you'll probably be one of the first back on board.. most of the tech trips have CCR divers (at least at sunset house) so their run times will be much longer than yours..

Sunset house runs a special event once a year exclusively for CCR divers.. I was at the last one (last week of august), soft deck was set at 300, with 3 hour run times... most of us multi leveled the wall before settling into our hangs.. many dives we did 30 minutes plus at the edge of the drop off usually 60ish so we could offgass while enjoying the wall... on the north wall this meant frequent encounters with spotted eagle rays..

Sunset House also does 1 way trips from the Carrie lee.. they put you on the wreck, you screw around the wreck then do a swim along the wall back to sunset house (usually a 70 minute or so afair)

On august 28, it became official the cayman watersports no longer has a 100ft limit.. shops have the choice of signing up as either a rec or tech facility, the tech facility is dependent on the current staffs ratings.. the rec facilities can now allow divers to go to there certs within rec limits... same for the tech shhops.. its up to the operator so its now another bargaining pouint for dive freedom.. the shop cant give you the BS that everyone enforced 100ft limits..

Back
Top Bottom