A570 (or any A series in manul) and sTTl with d2000s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there

Just got my shiny new canon A570, and had intended on getting the inon d2000s strobe (still do, actually) because of the way the sTTL was described in the shop. Ive been a dry photog for many years, so understand the process pretty well.As i understand, the sTTL works by mimicing the on-board flash, using the pre-flash to meter the exposure. So far so good. The problem is, in fully manual mode (camera)- there is no pre-flash. Its manual, so there is no on-board TTL.

Im now assuming that the sTTL through the d2000s is only operational if in another mode (Tv, Av, Auto etc) where the pre-flash is present. Is this correct? Does this mean that for sTTL macros ill be wanting to use Av mode in f4 and the camera does the TTL (probably selecting a shutter speed of whatever)- in which case i have no control over how the background looks (light blue>blue>black)?

Has anyone used the sTTL successfully with the camera set to fully manual? id love to see pics before i drop $800 on a strobe and arms.

this is quite possibly the ramblings of an inate control freak who used to use his canon speedlight on fully manual for even the most basic stuff, so i have no problem with using manual strobe. Its just the guy in the shop was adamant it could be used to get 'foolproof' perfect exposures in all settings, even manual, but then couldnt answer these questions.

Any help/advice gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom