Abhorrent cold!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minimum 5mm wetsuit even in 29C waters.... preferably 7mm:) Anything less than that, I start shivering after 15 minutes in tropical waters.

Cameron (Northernone): What suit and equipment do you use?
I looked up your location. Very remote. Sorry for my ignorance but what are the logistics of diving in such an area interms of supply of scuba equipment. Of course you don't have to share this info.

Thank you.

Thanks for your interest! Nearest public dive shop is roughly 700 miles south. There is a commercial scuba training centers 450 miles south.

For equipment it's been a challenge. Prior to starting the dive therapy program it had been personal gear only, bought used down south, doubles of everything as I'm the only source for spares. O2 fills are still a 700 miles drive but I run the compressor at the local fire hall so fills are ok.

I'm in a Viking or whites drysuit for the ocean dives, can get away with a double 7 in the rivers and a couple lakes. Fairly strenuous dive conditions so it's easy to stay warm. I'm on conshelf regs or my prism topaz rebreather (still dive my homebuild occasionally as well). No chamber nearby but I keep an o2 rebreather on shore and normally sling excessive amounts of redundant deco gas. In short, my backyard dive regular dive spot is treated like a self sufficient expedition style dive. The advantage of course being uncharted waters and all unknowns they hold. Arctic sea life, wrecks etc.

Challenging area for training new divers with special needs but some of the lakes are lovely and did fine as training grounds. Last year's graduates haven't dove the ocean yet. Since everything was borrowed equipment they aren't diving alone.

For the record, in recent years the subjectively coldest I've been was cave diving in peacock.

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
Much appreciated Cameron. I also have a Viking suit which I like except that I cannot self donn as its back zipper.

Last edited:
Anyone else committed to avoiding freezing during a dive? What brought this resolution?
A recent trip to Bonaire had me wearing 3mm where a year ago i was fine in a 1mm.
Down 45 pounds in the last year I don't have as much bioprene as I used to so sorting out staying warmer has been a treat.
For a present I was given new drysuit garments that were tested in our 38*F cave last weekend. I was cool but not cold after a hour.
Hands need some additional insulation. Fourth Element G1 liners are not warm enough any longer.
I was OK with an old 6mm hood and tried a new 7mm.
I suspect a 10mm will be ordered soon.
Staying cool while suiting up this time of year is half the battle. I could have been warmer if I hadn't sweated like a pig gearing up.

I sure do, I'm across from Moosonee on the Quebec side, Waskaganish (Rupert house or Fort Rupert) Once we're far enough out in the bay to hit salt water it's clear and with the arctic flavored sea life, jelly fish suprised me, bright coloured eels and the various sponges. Fascinating and the region hasn't been documented yet carefully. Most of my local diving is the muddy rivers though as I don't have a boat or dependable captain to dive with yet.

View media item 201494
In a wetsuit I need to tape the joints and prime it with warm water. If you have the urge to return to the north I'd have you're welcome to.

I would love to dive there.

I've try once to do like everybody else when I was assisting another instructor and dove in a 32° pool with a bikini and rashguard, I ended up taking my gear off after half an hour to put my 3mm wetsuit, no way to freeze while watching people struggling with their masks !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom