About to be fitted for tank/ow dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a course, do the course in what they provide then consider making an offer to buy the stuff you used

I’d keep using the thing you were trained with.

It’s not obvious how to adjust the harness of a BP&W for the first time.

So I had a few questions as I go Friday to the LDS to be fitted for rental gear for my check out dives.

1. Aside from Fins,Snorkel, Mask is there any piece I really should just have as apposed to rent?

2. In reading seems everyone likes BP/W over jackets. I plan to travel and dive a lot so lower weight and space are a huge winner. Can I do my check out dives with a BP/W or must I use a jacket?

Thanks!
I really wouldn't be in too much of a rush to buy a BP/W for your qualifying OW dives. Yes, a good BP/W is nice to dive, but there's also nothing wrong with a standard BCD as millions of divers will testify. After your OW, and I'd suggest some more dives under your belt, you'll be in a better position to make an informed decision.

I think you are over thinking it. Get certified first, get some dives under your belt so you have a feel for what you are doing and then start selecting gear. Aside from mask and fins we started slowly. Regs were next. No different from any other skill set. If you learned to drive in one car would you go buy something different for the road test? For that matter would you buy a vehicle before you even had a license? Don’t rush everything—you will get great first hand reviews of gear from divers who actually will be happy to share all the pros and cons during SIT. Congratulations!

Personally I would get certified in the equipment that you did your confined water skills in. That way you aren't trying to find a buckle, clip or your octo in a different location.

Once you are home you can relax a bit and buy what you prefer going forward. I changed about 3 dives after my OW and found it pretty straightforward.

Do I think a BP&W is a good idea? I certainly prefer it and it didn't take too much by ways of changes to my diving to get used to it. The adjustments are different but once you get it adjusted right (on dry land), it is easy in the water. Oh and if anyone says it tips you forward - they are not accurate. It MIGHT if you add too much air or all your weight is at the front. Also sitting in the harness with your knees up a bit (think sitting in a chair) or lying back (as you would for a surface swim anyway) mitigate it entirely.

If you go for a BP&W, have a look on youtube for videos on how to adjust it - there are tons. @Jim Lapenta has a pretty good guide to BP&W as well

My advice is rent for a bit, your training gear will be consistent, and a lot of gear is on the second hand market because the divers involved picked up gear before they realized that other things were more important to them than diving, or some issue was found that precluded diving.

Unless you will be diving a lot locally, there is no need to rush into purchasing gear. When you do start buying gear, you can put the BP/W at end of the list.

A BP/W is just a BC, so it's not dificult switch when you do change.

Bob

I go in Friday to be fitted up for the pool and tank dives.
As you have not yet started pool training, (read the post folks), see if they can rent you the type you eventually want to use. In your case a BP/W.

A BP/W is a bit different to use. The differences are small, but you might as well train with the type you will use.

If they only have (all integrated) back inflates, use it as if it were a BP/W. Which mostly means set the shoulder straps (loosely) on the pool deck and then leave them. There are adjustable BP/W straps, but most find them unnecessary.

If they only have jackets, you may be able to pick up a BP/W before your open water dives. But then treat whatever you use in the pool as much like a BP/W as you can. DiveRite has good ones non expensive ones that your shop might carry. And simple is all you need. See many threads on 'getting a BP/W'.

Good luck, have fun.

You may not like diving or you may have issues with pressure etc. avoid buying gear until you have at least got certified. After that, switching to a bpw is really a pretty inconsequential transition if your training was adequate. One trip to the pool - at the most.

I agree with all that say finish the course with the stuff they gave you. Agree also that it's a different situation if you intend to dive (a lot?) locally vs. being a "vacation" diver. For the former, I would buy all your stuff as soon as possible financially. I suppose if you will be a vacation diver you could rent a bit before buying. From what I've seen, renting can mount up money-wise.
My route was to buy most stuff used. I stayed with the jacket BC and bought all stuff during the OW course or right after.

I train OW students in BPW's. My students actually find them easier to learn with. Jackets tend to flop around on doff and don drills. BPW is much easier for them.
Just as an aside, I did buy all my gear before I finished the pool sessions. Jacket BC, regs, big knife, stupid dry snorkel, etc. Most of it was sold off or collecting dust within a year. It was what was best for the shop's profit margin. Not necessarily my best interests. I moved to a BPW and never looked back. I still have a jacket now that I use for pool cleaning or maybe a session at the beginning of training. But in open water, it's a BPW if diving a single tank. The only time I switch is for a single scenario in rescue classes.

Back
Top Bottom