About to be fitted for tank/ow dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many instructors will not each if you use a BPW. Excuses like it is contrary to reg retrieval and other things is often cited. or they want the same gear on all because they are required to use the same equipment you use and a snorkle. That can not be done if some are in jackets and others are in BPW so they push jackets which they by weird chance have for sale.

Arguing against the oncoming semi truck of some instruction may not achieve much. But some of the justifications are silly.

Staff: You can't use that streamlined OW regulator setup as it uses primary donate.
Student: Oh..., can I rent one of those Air2 things for class. Cool. So which reg do I donate?? The primary. Oh, hmm. (skipping the necklace issue)

Staff: Your reg retrieval is different.
- My primary is 40". Arm sweep and tracing from the valve work just the same.

Staff: Getting your secondary to donate is different.
- I'm using the cool Air2, so I donate primary, no getting the secondary required.
- I'm using the streamlined OW setup, so I donate primary, no getting the secondary required.
- My secondary donate is on a octo holder on my shoulder strap. Like any other BC.
- I doubled over the hose and threaded it up the shoulder strap. Like any other BC.
- I stowed my secondary on my front somehow odd. Like any other BC.

- You can't use BP/W as we teach you to loosen/tighten your shoulder straps often.
- My, current, webbing has adjustable shoulder straps, so I can loosen/tighten often.

- You can't wear a crotch strap.
- Mine doesn't have one, on it.

- You don't have a cummerbund.
- Brand X jacket/back inflate BC uses a simple plastic buckle, just like mine.

- You need integrated ditchable weights.
- Mine has those.

- You need trim weight pockets. (Important, but an unlikely question.)
- I have those on my cam bands/backplate.

- Your plate makes you back heavy.
- See discussion above about weight from trim pockets.
- I have an AL plate.

- Your buddy will be confused by your BC.
- It has an inflator, adjustable shoulder straps, a waist belt, and integrated weights. Which part would be confusing?

- You need pockets for us to teach you.
- Really?

Not sure what other differences exist, but I'm sure I've missed something.

Aside from what most folks have mentioned, don't buy anything just yet. An opinion as a novice diver (around 100 dives) I think the jacket BDC's are easier to learn buoyancy control. Also I'm a vacation diver so if I would do it all over again My priorities would be a BDC specifically made for travel, small and light weight. I current dive with a rear inflate Zeagle Ranger and it is a little big and heavy dragging them thru airports and hotels.

My son, around 50 dives who normally rents jack style, used my wing BDC to tag along with his girl friend when she did her open water check out dives and hated it for the most part. They are great underwater but can be horrible at the surface. They are better once you learn where to put weight and body position at the surface but they aren't perfect. In open water classes, you spend quite a bit of time working at the surface.

No gear is perfect but you will need to decide for yourself what works best for the type of diver you become.

I got certified in a BP/W (AND a drysuit). I’m still alive. Switched to my own BP/W I bought between the two OW pool sessions. Couldn’t stand the squeeze of the jacket BC on my sides. Horrible on the surface? Hardly. It’s not rocket science. You don’t over inflate and you lean back on it like a raft.

If the OP wants to buy gear, then buy it. Just don’t buy junk. I had all my own gear except tanks by the time of my OW dives. I wasn’t exactly the ideal candidate for diving, but I kept plugging away. Third diversary is Oct 2.

Aside from what most folks have mentioned, don't buy anything just yet. An opinion as a novice diver (around 100 dives) I think the jacket BDC's are easier to learn buoyancy control. Also I'm a vacation diver so if I would do it all over again My priorities would be a BDC specifically made for travel, small and light weight. I current dive with a rear inflate Zeagle Ranger and it is a little big and heavy dragging them thru airports and hotels.

My son, around 50 dives who normally rents jack style, used my wing BDC to tag along with his girl friend when she did her open water check out dives and hated it for the most part. They are great underwater but can be horrible at the surface. They are better once you learn where to put weight and body position at the surface but they aren't perfect. In open water classes, you spend quite a bit of time working at the surface.

No gear is perfect but you will need to decide for yourself what works best for the type of diver you become.
I bought my BP&W after approx 7 dives (including my OW course). I immediately found it so much easier to operate and far less restrictive.

My OW instructor did my check out dives in his BP&W and I was immediately impressed with it. He made the simple comments regarding the weight location, sitting in the harness and laying back and funnily enough tipping forward has never been an issue.

I absolutely detested wearing a jacket BCD - I found it to be extremely restrictive especially on the surface to the extent that, at a number of points, I struggled to breathe properly.

I suspect the issue with instructors having an issue with BP&W or alternate air donation options is simply down to lack of experience on their part and lack of motivation to learn them. Either that or their employer might be pushing them to use the "standard equipment" to maximise sales.

So I just got done and left. He prefers that everyone use the identical gear during the tank Dives and check-out Dives. It was basically that way it's easy to train everybody to the same if there's any issues it's easy to deal with Etc which makes logical sense. He also added that because I'm interested in one he will bring it to the pool on our second trip show me how it works let me try it out a bit when we're not doing the actual class work. Sounds like a sound solution to me.

Thanks for the update!

That is a logical reason. Though maybe not demonstrating the most capability of their instructors.

Kudos to your instructor for volunteering to bring their BP/W for you to see and try after class stuff is done! Kudos!

From curiosity, is the gear back inflate or jacket style? I'm assuming it is secondary donate.

Good luck in your class. Take things slow. Relax. If waiting on others, try to spend your time hovering to get more practice controlling your buoyancy and being aware of how your trim is.

Thanks for the update!

That is a logical reason. Though maybe not demonstrating the most capability of their instructors.

Kudos to your instructor for volunteering to bring their BP/W for you to see and try after class stuff is done! Kudos!

From curiosity, is the gear back inflate or jacket style? I'm assuming it is secondary donate.

Good luck in your class. Take things slow. Relax. If waiting on others, try to spend your time hovering to get more practice controlling your buoyancy and being aware of how your trim is.

Yea he seems a real good guy.

Back inflate yes.

Thanks. I'm trying to take things slow not usually my style though. I will work on that hovering thanks.

The only part I'm nervous of is the mask fill. From reading seems the most problematic for people. With my contacts it is extra debilitating as I will be completely blind if they pop out. I will just have to bring extras and hope for the best.

Thanks!

There is nothing to stop you doing mask clears with your eyes closed. I can't do a mask clear in the pool with my eyes open due to irritation from chlorine. Doesn't stop me though.

Get used to doing partial clears (small amount first then building up to near full). Once you get to there mask removal and replacement is a simple step.

There is nothing to stop you doing mask clears with your eyes closed. I can't do a mask clear in the pool with my eyes open due to irritation from chlorine. Doesn't stop me though.

Get used to doing partial clears (small amount first then building up to near full). Once you get to there mask removal and replacement is a simple step.

Thanks for that advice. Just did my first pool dive today and overall it was awesome. I really struggled with the mask clearing. I would get it sometimes and other times it would be emptying and then I don't know if I would stop or what end up getting water in my nose. I guess I just need to practice more.

I would be more concerned with the skills that you need to learn and less concerned with what gear to buy once you're certified. There's a lot of information for you to absorb in a fairly short amount of time.

Thanks for that advice. Just did my first pool dive today and overall it was awesome. I really struggled with the mask clearing. I would get it sometimes and other times it would be emptying and then I don't know if I would stop or what end up getting water in my nose. I guess I just need to practice more.
Like any skill it does get easier with practise. Any time you are idle during your course, get a practise of doing mask clears. If you are struggling, get an instructor or DM to watch and advise you.

It is daunting at first but, with practise, you will find yourself almost doing it without conscious thought. I actually don't generally worry too much about defogging my mask now because doing a mask clear has become routine. If it fogs, I let a bit of water in swill it about and clear it - takes 5-10 secs (with practise).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom