About to break into the Solo World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I solo night dove the hilma hooker as well. That was also nice and creepy as heck.

Sweet. I’m not sure how I’d feel about night diving solo without a light unless nav was clear by moon etc but sounds like a blast.

So, when do we go diving, solo, together?

as iteach both solo sdi and padi self reliant ........they are not the same course, the goals are different....even though padi advertises the self reliant as just that they do not endorse , diving ALONE , that is why some dive charters/LOB dont see it as a solo diver cert . if you are doing a course to do a LOB check if they recognize the padi course as a solo cert

I carry 4 x keldan 8x with me and focus lights/strobes.... but keep them off unless I am specifically shooting so all the little guys don’t get chomped and I don’t get swarmed with bloodworms :)

Aug 22nd aggressor 3 Belize. 10 nights 40 dives, currently 50% off..Great for some easy diving...

might try to get out to curaçao for 2 weeks at the start of August. 1st flight goes on the 2nd..

‘maybe Indo in nov depending on status...possibly delfins resort in hurghadha in feb next year.. but it was a bit cold this feb.. Bonaire more likely :)

as iteach both solo sdi and padi self reliant ........they are not the same course, the goals are different....even though padi advertises the self reliant as just that they do not endorse , diving ALONE , that is why some dive charters/LOB dont see it as a solo diver cert . if you are doing a course to do a LOB check if they recognize the padi course as a solo cert
I’ve never seen/heard of a liveaboard allowing either irrespective of any qualification..

I’ve never seen/heard of a liveaboard allowing either irrespective of any qualification..

Nope. Just gotta be a guide to be able to do that. Not that I didn’t sometimes get into trouble with head office

I carry 4 x keldan 8x with me and focus lights/strobes.... but keep them off unless I am specifically shooting so all the little guys don’t get chomped and I don’t get swarmed with bloodworms :)

Aug 22nd aggressor 3 Belize. 10 nights 40 dives, currently 50% off..Great for some easy diving...

might try to get out to curaçao for 2 weeks at the start of August. 1st flight goes on the 2nd..

‘maybe Indo in nov depending on status...possibly delfins resort in hurghadha in feb next year.. but it was a bit cold this feb.. Bonaire more likely :)

Firstly I hate your life and am consumed with jealousy.

Secondly, Hurghada - I lived there for a bit - take a LOB and do Simply the Best (Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone) late May/June or Oct/November.

The action has died down now with COVID but if things open back up again the sharks will come back and I promise you if 2021 is anything like the last 9 years you’ll have a proper blast. Dive under the boats for OWTS. Heck if you really want you can even check out the amazing reefs. And they are amazing.

Firstly I hate your life and am consumed with jealousy.

Secondly, Hurghada - I lived there for a bit - take a LOB and do Simply the Best (Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone) late May/June or Oct/November.

The action has died down now with COVID but if things open back up again the sharks will come back and I promise you if 2021 is anything like the last 9 years you’ll have a proper blast. Dive under the boats for OWTS. Heck if you really want you can even check out the amazing reefs. And they are amazing.
I liked the MY Blue..it was a better than decent boat on the brothers run. The sites were far too busy though, but this was just pre brothers limiting the number of boats after that dude had his leg chomped. There must have been over 60 divers on the numidia one morning...it was dangerous inside it. I’ll try the new boat from the blue crew when it launches next year... might try a run to Jeddah, although my friends tell me the diving isn’t safe down south in Saudi because of the Yemenis...although it’s pretty virgin reef down there..i’d actually Probably be up for a back to back to the southern reefs, but the Germans are a hardy bunch, so I think the Red Sea will be busy quickly...mights stick to Socorro/cocos for the season as the US situation is likely to mean the sites will be quieter...

E8E32C9B-7C1B-40B8-9CF8-72765CC8A7CF.jpeg

6 boats...and that was just out of one window in the lighthouse! There must have been 20 boats onsite that day.. great boat though...

19A22650-AC39-4BC2-8167-0883824880F3.jpeg

40ABDB18-76BC-4068-B40F-80E179067207.jpeg
09646E0F-962A-4B96-87F0-4AB9DE529276.jpeg

Back on topic though...I generally think everyone should get solo/self reliant certified..but I also think everyone should dive sidemount/dual sidemount...but that’s just because it’s my preference..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom