About to buy my first BC, and am now a bit apprehensive about buying Mares...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of good points. If you are doing a pre-dive check, which you should be, you should be able to catch any problems, like a weight pocket not being properly seated. I am planning to go ahead and get the Mares Dragon w/ MRS Plus. I liked the fit and I also like the fact that some of the Mares people are on this forum and provide assistance when needed. Not to mention the fact that there are so many more people that have had no problems with this BCD and are very happy with it.

Thanks to everyone for their input!!

Miker, rest assured that if you are unlucky, and you do have issues with it, Mares USA will stand by you. Phil and Zak do an incredible job here and genuinely want to see Mares owners happy! Not many other brands go as far out to please!:coffee:

A lot of good points. If you are doing a pre-dive check, which you should be, you should be able to catch any problems, like a weight pocket not being properly seated. I am planning to go ahead and get the Mares Dragon w/ MRS Plus. I liked the fit and I also like the fact that some of the Mares people are on this forum and provide assistance when needed. Not to mention the fact that there are so many more people that have had no problems with this BCD and are very happy with it.

Thanks to everyone for their input!!

I was at my LDS yesterday....the same one I got certified through. The guy working behind the counter made a point of recommending against buying Mares products. Please don't yell at me!! I know not to believe everything they say, in fact I have found this particular person to be fairly unreliable in the past. But, just for the sake of my curiosity I wanted to just ask. He did not say anything about the quality of the Mares products...he commented as to whether or not Mares would be around much longer. I think he was pointing to the financial stability of Mares. Now, like I said, I am NOT playing into this or trying to be a part of any rumors. I just want to know that when I decide to drop a large chunk of money on all my Mares gear, that they are going to be around and I will not have a problem in a year or two with getting parts or service. And, in all fairness to Phil and Zak, I just wanted them to know what people are hearing in some dive shops. But, I am sure they have heard this before. Okay, I think I lost sight of what I was trying to say or ask. ;-) Anyway, does anyone know of any issues with the Mares company that would lead anyone to believe these rumors?? BTW, I have only heard good things about Mares and am in no way trying to imply anything here. Thanks.

Miker, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!:rofl3: the guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Mares is part of the HEAD sports group (skis, tennis rackets, and many many more), one of the biggest sports companies in the world. I doubt they will be disapearing anytime soon... They have been around for a long long time...:coffee:

I was at my LDS yesterday....the same one I got certified through. The guy working behind the counter made a point of recommending against buying Mares products. Please don't yell at me!! I know not to believe everything they say, in fact I have found this particular person to be fairly unreliable in the past. But, just for the sake of my curiosity I wanted to just ask. He did not say anything about the quality of the Mares products...he commented as to whether or not Mares would be around much longer. I think he was pointing to the financial stability of Mares. Now, like I said, I am NOT playing into this or trying to be a part of any rumors. I just want to know that when I decide to drop a large chunk of money on all my Mares gear, that they are going to be around and I will not have a problem in a year or two with getting parts or service. And, in all fairness to Phil and Zak, I just wanted them to know what people are hearing in some dive shops. But, I am sure they have heard this before. Okay, I think I lost sight of what I was trying to say or ask. ;-) Anyway, does anyone know of any issues with the Mares company that would lead anyone to believe these rumors?? BTW, I have only heard good things about Mares and am in no way trying to imply anything here. Thanks.

Miker, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!:rofl3: the guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Mares is part of the HEAD sports group (skis, tennis rackets, and many many more), one of the biggest sports companies in the world. I doubt they will be disapearing anytime soon... They have been around for a long long time...:coffee:

CODMAN, I am just glad I was able make you laugh...that's all I really wanted to do! ;-) LOL. Yeah, I thought that was a pretty stupid comment the guy made, but then again, I have seen crazier things happen. The funny thing is...I have some of their tennis racquets. Forgot they were under the same umbrella. Anyway, thanks....now that I feel like a :dork2: for asking. Hahaha.

Just remember that anything can happen to any company, no matter how big... But lets just say Mares is one of the big players in the diving industry and chances are they'll be here for a while.

You sometimes hear the stupidest remarks in dive shops. They will dish this or that brand, to push you towards what they want to sell you (for their own personal reasons, $$ :shakehead:). Some will even down Mares just because it isn't made in the US!:dork2:
One of my favorite remarks is" buy the most expensive gear you can afford; after all it is life support equipment!":dork2::dork2:

Anyways...

CODMAN, I am just glad I was able make you laugh...that's all I really wanted to do! ;-) LOL. Yeah, I thought that was a pretty stupid comment the guy made, but then again, I have seen crazier things happen. The funny thing is...I have some of their tennis racquets. Forgot they were under the same umbrella. Anyway, thanks....now that I feel like a :dork2: for asking. Hahaha.

Just remember that anything can happen to any company, no matter how big... But lets just say Mares is one of the big players in the diving industry and chances are they'll be here for a while.

You sometimes hear the stupidest remarks in dive shops. They will dish this or that brand, to push you towards what they want to sell you (for their own personal reasons, $$ :shakehead:). Some will even down Mares just because it isn't made in the US!:dork2:
One of my favorite remarks is" buy the most expensive gear you can afford; after all it is life support equipment!":dork2::dork2:

Anyways...

Yeah, that is what I have noticed so far....every dive shop has the best equipment. I go to one shop, they say only buy this. Another shop says only by this one. Whatever it is they have in their shop is the best you can get, or so they say. :wink:

Thanks CODMAN.

My 2Cts worth we looked at the Mares Kaila and decided because there were so may problems to go try the Seaquest Pearl, it was $525 at the LDS without the i3. On line at Leisure Pro it was $499 with the i3 and they stand behind it just like Aqualung would. It has the best overall fit design, weight pockets snap in. I don't think you can install them incorrectly.The cummerbund is fully adjustable to fit almost any shape as my wife is totally out of shape and she took a med. large as did I in the mens Seaquest PRO Q.:D

My 2Cts worth we looked at the Mares Kaila and decided because there were so may problems to go try the Seaquest Pearl, it was $525 at the LDS without the i3. On line at Leisure Pro it was $499 with the i3 and they stand behind it just like Aqualung would. It has the best overall fit design, weight pockets snap in. I don't think you can install them incorrectly.The cummerbund is fully adjustable to fit almost any shape as my wife is totally out of shape and she took a med. large as did I in the mens Seaquest PRO Q.:D

That's funny because I also tried out the Seaquest Pro QD (non-i3 version) and loved the way it fit. I haven't tried it in the water though. The only concerns I have with LeisurePro are that they are not local and not an authorized dealer. I know they have been around awhile and that they honor the manufacturer's warranty, but you have to send the item to them for repair or replacement, at your own cost to and from. In theory, if you buy from an authorized dealer, you should be able to walk into any authorized dealer and get warranty service, which would be handy if you are on a dive trip and have a minor problem that a LDS can assist with. But, on the flip-side, they do have some really good deals.

Not for or against Leasurepro, but consider the fact that, in general, a BC has very little maint done to it over it's life... one can loose weight pouches (so if you are one of the people that tend to do that.. buy several extras at the start... they can be setup with different weights then, and you have replacements if needed) and then there is the inflator.. which is rather generic and can be replaced with many others if needed, as can the rather standard valve used in them.

The dump valves are also generic, so replaceing the seal is not an issue.

If you punch a hole in the thing... well then you do have to have the mfg.. but hopefully you don't do that.

Oh, and any Mares can have the weights fall out.. as can just about any other system...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom