Abseiling off a cliff in full scuba diving gear! Never thought id find myself here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to look just to see what "abseiling" is. Here in the US we call that rappelling.

The term is actually from the German, meaning to "rope down". You haven't done it until you've done it from a hovering helicopter! Better than going to Disneyland!

Nice video. In the future, from safety standpoint, it would be better to abseil with your dive rig clipped to your harness hanging between/below your legs. It would have less affect on your center of gravity and less likely to cause one to lose control of the abseil. Years ago I was an avid rock climber until having kids and Navy deployments put a damper on it. A close family friend and former climbing partner who was extremely experienced/accomplished died last year while abseiling off a climb in Utah USA.

-Z

I saw divers doing that down an ice waterfall in winter here in New England!

That's a beautiful spot: where is it?

...I'm a climber since 1990, and I've seen and done a lot of crazy $hit, so I'm not impressed by the rest. :p :D

Nice video. In the future, from safety standpoint, it would be better to abseil with your dive rig clipped to your harness hanging between/below your legs. It would have less affect on your center of gravity and less likely to cause one to lose control of the abseil.

While true, even that would be unnecessary. For what they were doing they would have been better off just lowering gear down. Which is what they did to get it out, just it raise up.

It has been a while since I've done it, but shouldn't the harness biners be the other way? "Screw down so you don't screw up."

It has been a while since I've done it, but shouldn't the harness biners be the other way? "Screw down so you don't screw up."

When using screw gate carabiners, yes, screw down is best practice. Of course you can still roll out of a 3 stage autolocking biner so no matter what it's important to pay attention to the state of all connections.

Coming from a rope access background there's a ton of stuff in that video that I would balk at. But I haven't been sport climbing in years, so I understand that what I'd do, and what the rest of the sport climbing world does, are miles apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom