Absolute beginner looking for very basic set of mask/snorkel/fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey all! I am just starting out and looking to do my open water dives soon. The places I'm looking at won't rent out mask/snorkel/fins. Is this common for dive sites?

I am also in Canada. Do you guys think this set would work for diving: Fathom Los Cabos Mask, Snorkel and Fin Set | MEC
It seems the mask is tempered glass, and the fins look like scuba fins? But I am really not sure. Basically just looking for a very basic set I can start out with as I don't know yet how much I'll actually like it / how often I might dive in the future

Hey all! I am just starting out and looking to do my open water dives soon. The places I'm looking at won't rent out mask/snorkel/fins. Is this common for dive sites?

I am also in Canada. Do you guys think this set would work for diving: Fathom Los Cabos Mask, Snorkel and Fin Set | MEC
It seems the mask is tempered glass, and the fins look like scuba fins? But I am really not sure. Basically just looking for a very basic set I can start out with as I don't know yet how much I'll actually like it / how often I might dive in the future

In many areas of the US, you have to provide your own.

Where are your training dives going to be - warm or cold water?

In many areas of the US, you have to provide your own.

Where are your training dives going to be - warm or cold water?

Training dives likely in Miami. Then I am thinking I'll probably dive in SEA over the next year. In the future its likely to be some mix of Caribbean, Europe, SEA, as I travel through the years.

Open heel seemed sensible from what I saw. But I was reading some stuff about snorkeling and diving fins working a bit differently?

the mask looks like it is tempered glass, so that is good. medium volume should be fine. the snorkel is a dry snorkel which I personally do not like as I find it dangerous at times, so my preference would be for a regular snorkel. Depending on where you dive, a snorkel may not be required after your certification. I do not like the look of the fins. They look too short for a good flutter kick, which I presume is how you are accustomed to diving. All being said, it's a decent price and will allow you to start your adventures and then you can upgrade accordingly if/when you progress and decide how much you love scuba.
Good luck.

Package looks like junk, can be considered back yard pool toys. Why not purchase at facility you are taking class at? We require student to own mask snorkel fins boots to participate in ow class. Prefer they purchase from us, but not necessary. When purchased from us student can be sure of proper fit and comfort. If for some reason it just is not right for them we can exchange for something else as proper customer service, purchased elsewhere not too much we can do except to sell them proper gear that will work for them. Expect to spend $200-$250 for scuba quality mask snorkel fins boots

Good fitting mask and good fins will make all the difference, especially when learning. Masks are best to try on in-person, as they all fit people differently. Those fins look like they are made to be worn barefoot and even the company states they were designed for snorkeling. You will be missing the power you need from a good Scuba Diving fin.

... Why not purchase at facility you are taking class at... Prefer they purchase from us, but not necessary. When purchased from us student can be sure of proper fit and comfort. If for some reason it just is not right for them we can exchange for something else as proper customer service, purchased elsewhere not too much we can do except to sell them proper gear that will work for them. Expect to spend $200-$250 for scuba quality mask snorkel fins boots

Good fitting mask and good fins will make all the difference, especially when learning. Masks are best to try on in-person, as they all fit people differently. Those fins look like they are made to be worn barefoot and even the company states they were designed for snorkeling. You will be missing the power you need from a good Scuba Diving fin.

Good advice above. You may save money with the $75 package only to spend more to get the equipment you really need and can use. YMMV but I would keep everything simple - forget the split or hinged fins, dry snorkels or purge valves. Remember the best mask and fins are the ones that fit. That really needs to be done in person.

Good luck!

You need to try on the mask. Either get it at a dive shop or buy online and be prepared to return it and try something else.

The best snorkel is the one that gets in the way the least, so a basic bent plastic tube with mouthpiece. You do not want any extraneous devices, no purges at the bottom of devices for keeping water out at the top. FWIW, this also happens to be the best snorkel for actual snorkelling. BTW, the requirement for a snorkel during diving certification is an anachronism, you probably will never use it for diving once you are certified. Those who do use one, typically because their dives require a long surface swim, tend to prefer something that can be easily stashed in a pocket or belt when actually diving.

For fins, since you will be doing warm water diving at least at the beginning, I'd get whatever full foot scuba (not snorkel) fins you can find that are cheap and comfortable. By the time you get into cold water diving or going someplace with difficult shore entries where you want booties and higher-priced fins, you'll have a better idea of what you need.

The mask and snorkel you have picked will work just fine if you want them too. The fins are build for snorkeling vs scuba diving. They will work but will likely not provide you enough propulsion in the long run. If you find yourself in even a light current those won’t work well at all. In the long run you would be better served by Getting better quality stuff (not necessarily more expensive)

Mask: Dive Gear Express has excellent masks that are not expensive (25-29$) are are better than masks 3 times as expensive. I have both a small backup mask and the single pane mask and they work brilliantly.
Masks | Dive Gear Express®

Fins can get expensive but these basic TUSA fins are inexpensive and have been around for decades. Not the best in the world but a step up from what you had at a reasonable price.
TUSA Liberator X-Ten Open Heel Fins

Snorkels are a matter of debate. You have to have them for classes but many divers choose not to use them after they are certified unless they have a surface swim ahead of them because they can be a hazard underwater. A foldable snorkel is a good option, you keep it in your pocket and use it when you want/need. For class you would have it attached the whole time. There are two basic types of snorkels, open tubes and ones that have some kind of water valve that makes clearing the snorkel easier, the one in the set you picked is of the later variety, works well but at the cost of bulk.
https://www.amazon.com/OMGear-Folda...2666164&sprefix=Foldable+snork,aps,400&sr=8-3

These three pieces are only $5 more than the set you picked but are a significant step up in quality.

You will likely want some neoprene booties as well. DGX sells neoprene boots for $25 or you can get a pair of neoprene socks from amazon for $5 if you will only be in warm water.

Mask: Dive Gear Express has excellent masks that are not expensive (25-29$) are are better than masks 3 times as expensive. I have both a small backup mask and the single pane mask and they work brilliantly.
I came in to post the ultra-view mask from DGX. It's an absolutely fantastic mask.

Back
Top Bottom