Absolute pressure verses Ambient pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOFROG

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Iam working on my dive master Cert.
Iam not sure that I understand the differance,
Can anyone help with a discription of the differance?

Ambient pressure is what you are under at any given time.

Partial Pressure, related to diving would be the weight or pressure if the water only.

Absolute Pressure, related to diving would be the total of water pressure plus the weight of the atmosphere above the water.

1 atm partial would be 2 atm absolute. 2 atm partial would be 3 atm absolute etc.

Basically Absolute and Ambient are the same.

Gary D.

Iam working on my dive master Cert.
Iam not sure that I understand the differance,
Can anyone help with a discription of the differance?

I don't mean to sound like an @-hole, but how'd you get an OW cert without understanding these concepts?

Ambient pressure is what you are under at any given time.

Partial Pressure, related to diving would be the weight or pressure if the water only.

Absolute Pressure, related to diving would be the total of water pressure plus the weight of the atmosphere above the water.

1 atm partial would be 2 atm absolute. 2 atm partial would be 3 atm absolute etc.

Basically Absolute and Ambient are the same.

Gary D.

Ah - I think you meant to say gauge pressure instead of partial pressure. Partial pressure relates to that portion of the pressure attributed to one of the components of the gas you breathe. e.g. the partial pressure of O2 is about 0.21 atm at the surface.

Otherwise you are correct. Ambient pressure can be related as either gauge or absolute pressure.

Ah - I think you meant to say gauge pressure instead of partial pressure. Partial pressure relates to that portion of the pressure attributed to one of the components of the gas you breathe. e.g. the partial pressure of O2 is about 0.21 atm at the surface.

Otherwise you are correct. Ambient pressure can be related as either gauge or absolute pressure.

Oops, you're right, PSIG. :D

Gary D.

Hate to contradict you Gary, but by throwing in an extra term you made yourself wrong.

PARTIAL pressure is the pressure exerted by a single gas within a mixture. So the partial pressure of oxygen (ppo2) at sea level would .21 ata

Part of the problem comes from the OPs phrasing of the question, the difference between absolute and ambient is that absolute is a "what" and ambient is a "where".

The two types of pressure discussed in most divemaster manuals are absolutepressure and guage pressure. Guage pressure shows zero at ambient pressure, absolute pressure shows zero at vacuum.

Ambient pressure is the fancy way of saying what is the pressure at a given location and is usually expressed as absolute.

ambient and absaloute are the same .

ambient is the water pressure "gauge pressure " plus surface pressure

absalute is the total pressure

When I first started out there were things I didn't know that I had to review. So I am assuming this isn't a :troll: post.

As Gary stated...Ambient for example...A dive to 33 feet is 2 atmospheres. This is the ambient pressure...66 ft = 3 atmospheres...3 atmospheres is the ambient pressure.

Absolute pressure...Written as atma...atmospheres absolute. The equation to get absolute pressure...depth/33 + 1...at 99 ft absolute pressure is (99/33) + 1 = 4 atm absolute...

Ambient pressure when you are underwater is the same as absolute pressure...the the weight of the water plus the atmospheric pressure against your body.

Gauge pressure uses atmospheric pressure as the zero point...ie...atmospheric pressure is not included in the calculation...Your pressure gauge is based on gauge pressure...it is written as atmg...atmospheres gauge. The equation is simply depth/33 = gauge pressure....

stevead:
PARTIAL pressure is the pressure exerted by a single gas within a mixture. So the partial pressure of oxygen (ppo2) at sea level would .21 ata

Gary well knows what partial pressure is...We all have the occasional brain fart:)

This is kind of an apples and oranges kind of question. It would make just as much sense to ask "What's the difference between the pressure in a scuba tank and absolute pressure?"

Ambient pressure is the pressure of the environment around you. Similarly, my ambient temperature right now is the temperature of the room that I'm sitting in. There are different ways to express that pressure.

======================

Absolute and gauge are two different ways of expressing pressure measurements (whether the pressure you are talking about is the ambient pressure, the pressure within a scuba tank, or any other pressure).

Absolute pressure is the total pressure as compared to a vacuum.

Gauge pressure is another way of expressing pressure. Gauge pressure is most commonly defined as the pressure compared to 1 atmosphere absolute. To put it another way, gauge pressure is the difference betwwn the meausured pressure and 1 atmosphere absolute. So gauge pressure will be 1 atmosphere less than the absolute pressure. The reason this is called "gauge pressure" is that many pressure gauges show the pressure DIFFERENCE between two ports on the gauge. One port is connected to the thing to be measured; the other port is left exposed (via a tiny hole) to local atmospheric pressure, which is more or less 1 atmosphere-absolute.

In a few cases, gauge pressure is pressure (such as that of a tank) as compared to the ambient pressure. When the pressure being used as the reference differs significantly from standard air pressure, this is more often called "differential pressure".

Charlie Allen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom