Absolute pressure verses Ambient pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary well knows what partial pressure is...We all have the occasional brain fart:)

Funny you mentioned that. My wife is complaining about my brain farts right now but they are a bit lower. Hummm, a bit toooo much garlic. It's a bummer to have both ends going. I hope they don't collide. :rofl3:

Gary D.

When gases collide:)

But I wonder...When pressure builds preceeding a fart...is that absolute or gauge pressure???...I would think absolute...not sure...

The physics of a fart...interesting:D

I would say its absolutly partially gauge pressure

I’d have to say Absolute Pressure Relief. But at my age don’t ever trust one. :D:mooner:

Gary D.

We didnt cover it in open water . At least not to the degree I see it now. I really want to grasp everything and I work alot so I have little time on the side. I wish no free ride, Just some direction
Thanks

Thanks! From what I gather its the same as absolute, Synonymous with Ambient pressure.
I know that gage is less 1 ata. Yet there must be some diffrence between Absolute and Ambient.
Whats the kicker?

Thanks! From what I gather its the same as absolute, Synonymous with Ambient pressure.
I know that gage is less 1 ata. Yet there must be some diffrence between Absolute and Ambient.
Whats the kicker?

You’re trying to compare kumquats and pomegranates – they’re not quite the same.

As others have said, absolute is total pressure, and ambient is the pressure wherever you (or your gauge) happen(s) to be.

We could rephrase your original question to: What’s the difference between “total” and “here”.

Thank you all for your responses, thay were very helpful.
I missed 3 on the Physics exam. My instructor is having us retake the test.
He wants us to have a good understanding, and I do too!

I'm studying for my DM also and am closely reviewing this stuff. After consulting my Open Water Manual and the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, I find it commendable that you started this post to just be sure that you have it straight. After all, the Open Water Manual is for 10 year olds... physics isn't going to be covered at the same level. As far as the comment about trying to not sound like an a**hole.... you sound like an a**hole. What happened to your community and helpful spirit?

Cheers from the Cape of Storms and many thanks for those who gave helpful incite rather than hurtful judgment. *hugs!

One port is connected to the thing to be measured; the other port is left exposed (via a tiny hole) to local atmospheric pressure, which is more or less 1 atmosphere-absolute.
Charlie Allen

SPG,s, from the ones I have pulled apart, do not have a tiny hole open to ambient. The reason I had to pull them apart was they filled with water because the o-rings that sealed the case leaked. Atmospheric is sealed in when put togather, as in oil filled gauges. If it wasen't sealed the pressure reading would be dependant on your depth, and psig (gauge pressure) would mean somthing different than a reference to atmospheric.

Bob
---------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom