Absolutely Can't Equalize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RevCindyA

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have tried and tried but no matter what I try, I can't get any deeper than the 9' deep end in the pool without pain. My husband is a diver and now that we're about to be empty-nesters, I would like to try this for him.
I've tried to find an ENT that has experience with divers to no avail. If they're there, I can't find them. (Boston area)
I might be looking for the wrong doc or asking the wrong questions. I don't understand enough about the ear to know what my problem could be.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Cindy, we are also Boston area, and so I called DAN to get a Scuba-educated physician referral thinking "We have all these medical schools!" But DAN gave me a name in Rhode Island, outside my Insurance Group. Have you called DAN to find an ENT? You might have more luck than I did.

There are quite a few tricks that can be done to aid in equalization but an exam to r/o any physical issues may not be a bad idea. I don't think a dive ENT is necessary for that. Any good ENT should be able to check you out.

Also consider giving us a little more info and things you have tried that didn't work and maybe we can help as well, such as pseudoephedrine before diving if you don't have a contraindication for taking it. There is a wealth of info on SB on equalization issues and it is not an uncommon problem.

DAN said they have very few ENTs, they would like more. I'm in Albuquerque and the nearest ENT on their list is Phoenix, 400 miles (and 7 hours) away. Then it's Dallas at 13 hours. And the doctor in Phoenix is talking about retiring.

Hello all,

I have tried and tried but no matter what I try, I can't get any deeper than the 9' deep end in the pool without pain. My husband is a diver and now that we're about to be empty-nesters, I would like to try this for him.
I've tried to find an ENT that has experience with divers to no avail. If they're there, I can't find them. (Boston area)
I might be looking for the wrong doc or asking the wrong questions. I don't understand enough about the ear to know what my problem could be.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RevCindy, do you have a history of ear problems or difficulty equalizing in other situations like flying in a commercial airliner or driving through the mountains?

Best regards,
DDM

I can't get any deeper than the 9' deep end in the pool without pain. My husband is a diver and now that we're about to be empty-nesters, I would like to try this for him.
Maybe this is too obvious, but I want to ask exactly what you mean by this. Are you saying you have tried this while wearing scuba gear, or have you tried it just holding your breath?

If you are just holding your breath, going down, and feeling pain, you are actually doing really well to get to 9 feet. Most people would have quit before that. It is very different on scuba, because you have all the time in the world to do it while you are inhaling and exhaling. It is much harder on breath hold.

Hi, it seems a lot of people have great advice. But I would also recommend that you take extreme time to descend. In saying that, I have some experience with issues of equalizing. I dove once with a friend who was an instructor and the what she said is take your time. So when I was at 10 feet (or 9) I would stay there literally for minutes at that depth, I would actually go to the depth before the pain would start. Then move about 1-2 feet and stay there a couple of minutes and so on until it equalized. This of course requires a patient buddy but it's worth it in the end. I really hope you solve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom