Abysmal tank sale -- Faber HP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by large_diver
I have 35 lbs of ditchable weight (combo of BC weight pockets and weight belt).

I think you're wearing too much weight. I realize you are large and are probably wearing a lot of rubber but it stills seems too much. Would you be willing to try something?

If so, try this:

Have a buddy present and in the water with you while doing this!

First, remove half of your ditchable weight and drain your tank to about 1000 psi

Get in the water (fresh if you dive fresh, salt if you dive salt) in shallow depth (must be over your head though)with your BC about half full

While floating vertically, dump your BC fully while holding a normal breath. If you sink, remove more weight.

If you don't sink, exhale fully. If you sink, remove more weight

If you don't sink (here comes the kicker) cross your ankles.

Play with a combination of these steps until you find the least amount of weight that will allow you to sink (slowly!!!) by simply exhaling with your BC empty and your ankles crossed. With an empty BC and holding a normal breath you should float at about eye level.

In my 10 years of instructing and crewing dive boats I found that a large number of people are overweighted. I found that the reason for this is often involuntary fin movement (that's right, they're kicking). it might not be in your case but be conscious of it just in case....

Tom

Tom,

I'm still fiddling with my weight. I know it seems like a lot of weight, and while I plan on trying the things you've suggested, I am not convinced I will be able to drop much, if any. I've tried dropping down to 35lbs + the LP 98 and I can't even begin to stay down with a full tank, regardless of how empty the BC is, what position I start at on the surface, or how much I exhale. I'm still a relative newbie (50 dives), but feel like I am pretty relaxed in the water.

I am 6'5" and 265 lbs. While I am not the trim fighting machine of my youth, I do work out ~3 times per week. In colder weather, I wear a XXXL farmer john, jacket and hooded vest....probably enough neoprene to cover most of Boston harbor ;-)

Thanks for the tips.

-Chris

Originally posted by large_diver
Tom,
In colder weather, I wear a XXXL farmer john, jacket and hooded vest....probably enough neoprene to cover most of Boston harbor ;-)

-Chris

Something I see a lot of is divers failing to descend due to air trapped in the layers of neoprene. Typical scenario is a diver who "needs' additional weight to descend... but has to have a fair volume of air in the BC at the safety stop to maintain boyancy.

Try getting yourself under the water and rolling around a bit to replace the trapped air with water - then try the boyancy check again.

In my 7mm, I have to duckdive to get down to 5m - there is no way I can just vent BC and descend. However, I am always a bit negative at the surface at the end of the dive, when all the bubbles have worked their way out.

BTW - I'm a firm believer that you should be neutral at the surface at the end of the dive, rather than at 5m... but I've had that rant before :)

Mike

Originally posted by Se7en
Try getting yourself under the water and rolling around a bit to replace the trapped air with water - then try the boyancy check again.
I call it the "Maytag" move. I get in the water and shake like a washing machine agitator.

Roak

Originally posted by roakey

I call it the "Maytag" move. I get in the water and shake like a washing machine agitator.

Roak

For some reason, I find that humorous.

I always pull open the wrist and neck seals of my wetsuit to let all the air out. Seems to work.

Got my tanks in today. Nice new ready to get wet tanks. Just makes you wanna tell somebody..... Thanks, Abysmal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom