abyss metal front cover missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazzaNZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi ive got 2 difference sets of mares regs, both Abyss MR42 but on both sets ive lost the front metal mesh, doesnt seem like much of a problem but when faced with a fair current, it can make the reg freeflow, where can i get another one without paying extravagant amounts of money

an while im on the mares stuff, is there anyway to make the weight pockets stay in the Dragon BCD while diving? ive had a mares Dragon for a few years now and ever since ive had it, the pockets would fall out as i entered the water, when i first got my drysuit i was putting 6kg in each pocket, ive had to reduce that to 2kg a side hoping that would stop them falling out, this was not the case. i now have my pockets tied into the BCD. any other solutions?

Hi ive got 2 difference sets of mares regs, both Abyss MR42 but on both sets ive lost the front metal mesh, doesnt seem like much of a problem but when faced with a fair current, it can make the reg freeflow, where can i get another one without paying extravagant amounts of money
Dazza, you don't want another mesh grid, what you want is the upgraded faceplate. The upgrade has neat little hooks on the inside that will not allow the mesh grid to become disassembled again. Your Mares dealer can order this upgrade, but I cannot comment on how much you will be charged.

I am an owner of the newer Abyss as well, both primary and octo. My octo came installed with the upgraded faceplate, but not my primary. The mesh plate fell off mine, but Zak here supplied me with the part numbers for the faceplate upgrade.

Check this out - see those neat little hooks on in there?
http://www.subzero.cat/biblioteca/items/107/Nueva_Fijacion_Rejilla_TapaAbyss.pdf

an while im on the mares stuff, is there anyway to make the weight pockets stay in the Dragon BCD while diving? ive had a mares Dragon for a few years now and ever since ive had it, the pockets would fall out as i entered the water, when i first got my drysuit i was putting 6kg in each pocket, ive had to reduce that to 2kg a side hoping that would stop them falling out, this was not the case. i now have my pockets tied into the BCD. any other solutions?

Hi, I recommend taking your regulator and bcd's to an authorized Mares retailer for review. Not being able to physically see your setups it is impossible for me to make recommendations. Although permanently securing the pockets should be necessary. You can get new pockets which should eliminate any issues. Also a new faceplate should be available depending upon which model Abyss you have. All do not have to be expensive either. I see you are in NZ, so I'm not familiar with the retailers nor cost, but again shouldn't be too much.

I hope this helps.

Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom