AC Dive/Accommodation trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YYCLuke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I haven't been to San Pedro (or Belize) yet, but I am thinking of it in November if everything goes right this summer. However, besides the (obvious) bucket list dive of the Blue Hole/Half Moon Caye, I am definitely looking forward to the cheaper dives at a nearby reef.

Anyways, to the meat and potatoes of my post (and of course, delete if this isn't allowed)
My aunt runs an AirBNB there in AC, and is offering up a stay and dive special through Ramon's Village Resort, and I thought I would ask everyone here if they have any positive or negative reviews for this shop?
The packages start at US$790/wk, includes 3 - 2tank dives, equipment and golf cart rental, with additional 2tank dives at US$80/pax. Is this a good baseline price to pay as well? From what I can gather, prices in Belize are quite a bit higher than what I typically pay to dive (I'm used to SE Asia pricing, I can get 5 dives for under US$100) so I'm wondering if US$70-80 for a pair is about average?
Sorry, I don't mean to advertise for my aunt's business (hence why I'm not writing any contact info), but to be honest I would like to know from the experts here if this is a good deal for myself!
Thanks!

I haven't been to San Pedro (or Belize) yet, but I am thinking of it in November if everything goes right this summer. However, besides the (obvious) bucket list dive of the Blue Hole/Half Moon Caye, I am definitely looking forward to the cheaper dives at a nearby reef.

Anyways, to the meat and potatoes of my post (and of course, delete if this isn't allowed)
My aunt runs an AirBNB there in AC, and is offering up a stay and dive special through Ramon's Village Resort, and I thought I would ask everyone here if they have any positive or negative reviews for this shop?
The packages start at US$790/wk, includes 3 - 2tank dives, equipment and golf cart rental, with additional 2tank dives at US$80/pax. Is this a good baseline price to pay as well? From what I can gather, prices in Belize are quite a bit higher than what I typically pay to dive (I'm used to SE Asia pricing, I can get 5 dives for under US$100) so I'm wondering if US$70-80 for a pair is about average?
Sorry, I don't mean to advertise for my aunt's business (hence why I'm not writing any contact info), but to be honest I would like to know from the experts here if this is a good deal for myself!
Thanks!

Yes, $80 for a 2 tank is a bit under the going rate. Ramon's is a good shop.

I'm assuming the $790 includes your accommodations and brekkie. With the cart, this is an awesome deal!
I wish I had an aunt with a B&B in San Pedro. Do you know how fsr her place is from Ramon's?

I don't suppose the deal includes the Blue Hole day trip? LOL (that's $300) Hopefully, there's a discount for that too!

Yeah I believe its about 1km away.. from looking at a map. So whats that, 5 minutes in a golf cart? Or I would say 15-20 minutes walk if Belize believes in sidewalks.. (Philippines sure doesn't!).
I bet she knows someone to get a discount on a Blue Hole trip. I can update when I speak with her, cause I'm cheap and I'll take a discount if I can hahaha.

And that's good to hear that its not a rip off. $80 seems like quite a bit but I can swing that if it's near the average. Thanks for the quick reply!

Do all or most of your local diving first before heading to the Blue Hole.

That's a pretty good rate since the cart is included.

Ramon's did a much better job keeping their beach clear of sargassum and the resort was well maintained. The location is convenient to all things AC while being far enough from downtown.

Do all or most of your local diving first before heading to the Blue Hole.

I'm curious as to why this recommendation. We booked our trip to the Blue Hole early in our stay just in case weather or other unforeseen circumstances should cause the trip to get cancelled (they also won't go if they don't have enough divers). That way, we could still book it later in the trip if need be.

If you book late in your stay and something happens, you've missed the boat, so to speak. On the other hand, you can dive locally any time at pretty much a moment's notice.

I'm curious as to why this recommendation. We booked our trip to the Blue Hole early in our stay just in case weather or other unforeseen circumstances should cause the trip to get cancelled (they also won't go if they don't have enough divers). That way, we could still book it later in the trip if need be.

If you book late in your stay and something happens, you've missed the boat, so to speak. On the other hand, you can dive locally any time at pretty much a moment's notice.

I understand your plan.

My suggestion was entirely due to the number of dives your profile shows. The Great Blue Hole is a much more enjoyable and memorable dive, when the diver has experience and for newer divers, has become reaquainted with their gear and refreshed their comfort with their skills and bouyancy.

I understand your plan.

My suggestion was entirely due to the number of dives your profile shows. The Great Blue Hole is a much more enjoyable and memorable dive, when the diver has experience and for newer divers, has become reaquainted with their gear and refreshed their comfort with their skills and bouyancy.

True, the Blue Hole is a deep dive (I hit 147' !) and you sure don't want to be using that dive to figure out your gear or getting your technique/buoyancy down. I neglected to notice the OP's number of dives. Maybe compromise and schedule it for the middle of the trip, then. Get some local dives in for practice/refresher and then if something cancels the BH trip, there is still time to rebook it for another day.
Thanks for pointing that out, Chilly!

True, the Blue Hole is a deep dive (I hit 147' !) and you sure don't want to be using that dive to figure out your gear or getting your technique/buoyancy down. I neglected to notice the OP's number of dives. Maybe compromise and schedule it for the middle of the trip, then. Get some local dives in for practice/refresher and then if something cancels the BH trip, there is still time to rebook it for another day.
Thanks for pointing that out, Chilly!

And you've made part of my point too. You were not supposed to be at 147'. You were supposed to be nicely stopped at 130'.

It appears that you weren't prepared?

And you've made part of my point too. You were not supposed to be at 147'. You were supposed to be nicely stopped at 130'.

It appears that you weren't prepared?

I don't know if it was a lack of preparedness or not. I did have a momentary lapse of attention to my depth gauge for sure which is unusual for me. I was so into the stalactites and sharks (and of course, was shooting video which I always do) that I didn't notice I had sunk a little below the other divers until I saw the DM motioning me to come up a bit. Happened fast and I came up to the proper depth immediately but it did surprise me how quickly and easily I had surpassed my intended depth.

Whether that's not being prepared or just being a little more in awe of the moment than expected (maybe they are the same thing?), I'll leave open for debate. I think the point is that we are in agreement on your original point.

Luckily, no ill effects from that dive, just a little embarrassed at myself for allowing it to happen (although no one else but my wife and the DM even paid attention). Another step in becoming a better diver! (what doesn't kill you... :cool:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom