Acapulco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brown Mermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever dove in Acapulco? If so, please give me some information whether good or bad.

Brown Mermaid.

I've never dove there.... so no report on diving, but I've been there and can't say the visibility at the beach was worth a darn. it was like "river water". Very dark. You couldn't even see your feet while in the water. Just FYI as I don't know how this points to diving visibility.

This probably isn't much help but I made 5 dives there 20 years ago. The vis then was about 15. And I have a thing about snakes (not eels) and there were many on every dive. The divemaster keep saying "they won't bite" and just when I was about to scratch the dive, a young lady from our group jumped in. What could I do....I dove!
Tim

Brown Mermaid:
Has anyone ever dove in Acapulco? If so, please give me some information whether good or bad.

Brown Mermaid.

Dove there last year, vis was maybe 15 to 20 feet on a shore dive. We did see alot of sea life, couple of Octipi, urchins, sea cucumbers, but nothing really cool. For the money you pay, I would probably say go fishing instead, and I don't like to fish! :)

The clift divers are a must see though!

I did some research on this board about a month ago. I suggest a search. But I can save you some time - everybody that's been there says its terrible.

I have been to Acapulco (my wife loves the Las Brisas...) and I always take my dive gear along even though I know it won't be great diving (but then, 'not great' diving is better than no diving at all.)

It's fairly cold (I dive a 5 mm Gold core there, although you might be comfortable in a 3mm with hood) and the water is usually pretty murky (vis is usually 5-10 feet). There is one wreck just outside the harbor - Japanses freighter at about 60 feet. Some fish, but not spectacular colors. No reef...

When I'm in Cozumel or PDC, I usually do three tanks a day. In Acapulco, I might dive four tanks in a week. On the other hand, the Beach Club at the Las Brisas is awesome. Got my wife to dive in the lagoon there, and she was certified in Cozumel the next year.

Back
Top Bottom