Acceptable New Tank Damage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Slater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently bought a new tank online and had to exchange it because there was a deep cut in it.

How much damage would you accept on a brand new cylinder?

brand new? none, it's brand new. If LDS gave me a discount for it, then it depends on if it's damage I'd accept for any other tank. No pix=can't help though

Here is a photo of the first tank. They did offer a discount but since I am going to put oxygen in it, I didn't want to take the risk.
20181122_153719.jpg

And here is the replacement tank. I'm currently working with the store because the second tank didn't come oxygen cleaned.

IMG_4196.jpg

I'm not someone who decry's online gear purchases, but perhaps you should consider buying it from a brick and mortar store where you can see the thing up front?

Did it look like the container was damaged (e.g. shipping damage) or did they package an already damaged tank into the shipping container?

I don't think I'd really worry about that second one. Far less "damage" than what happens when they stamp a tank after hydro.

Merdiano's the large fill station on Cozumel had a truck turn over carrying a load of tanks. They told me not one single tanks was lost permanently. The top one is a little hard to tell the depth and size of the gouge. Now the bottom one is definitely cosmetic and after a dive or 2 it will look way worse than that. Personally I would accept the bottom one.

I'm not someone who decry's online gear purchases, but perhaps you should consider buying it from a brick and mortar store where you can see the thing up front?

Did it look like the container was damaged (e.g. shipping damage) or did they package an already damaged tank into the shipping container?

The boxes were both in good shape. I tried that first but the tank is an oxygen cleaned aluminum 40 which I couldn't get at my LDS without special ordering it.

The boxes were both in good shape. I tried that first but the tank is an oxygen cleaned aluminum 40 which I couldn't get at my LDS without special ordering it.
They won't just do the o2 clean when they sell you a tank? Every LDS in my area includes that sort of thing with a tank purchase. At least, the ones I've talked to about tank purchases include it.

That means you'll likely have a bit of trouble at VIP time if your lds won't do o2 cleaning. Are you going to ship it off for annual vip service or DIY or something else?

They won't just do the o2 clean when they sell you a tank? Every LDS in my area includes that sort of thing with a tank purchase. At least, the ones I've talked to about tank purchases include it.

That means you'll likely have a bit of trouble at VIP time if your lds won't do o2 cleaning. Are you going to ship it off for annual vip service or DIY or something else?

The LDS is does not deal with tech equipment, but they are very nice about it. I am certified to perform VIPs so I will be doing the inspection myself.

The online store is saying that all new tanks are oxygen cleaned so they just want to send me a VIP sticker to put on the second tank to "oxygen clean" it.

The LDS is does not deal with tech equipment, but they are very nice about it. I am certified to perform VIPs so I will be doing the inspection myself.

The online store is saying that all new tanks are oxygen cleaned so they just want to send me a VIP sticker to put on the second tank to "oxygen clean" it.
My understanding is that it's more about lube selection and o-ring selection in the valve in a new tank. Maybe they're all using o2 compatible lube/orings these days?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom