Accessorizing a 22' center console for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glock Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought a new (to me) Aquasport 225 center console last weekend! I've had it out once, and it was awesome! :cool2:

My intention is to use it as an all-purpose boat: some fishing, some cruising, tubing, and of course, alot of diving. Any suggestions on how to rig it up for diving? I've seen some removable tank holders that attach with suction cups to the gunwales. Kind of a cool concept, but they were pretty pricey... $200 for a 4-tank
What other methods have you seen for securing tanks and gear on boats this size?

Aquasport225.jpg

Roll Control from East Coast Plastics.

N

One of my dive buddies and I trailer down from MD a 19' CC Key West.

We finally settled on the following for transporting tanks while trailering and while uder way.

In from of the CC, we remove the cooler and put down some 'dri-deck' (Dri-Dek | Interlocking Tiles, Sheets & Rolls).

Typically we have three divers going down, so 6 tanks. 2x 130HP, 2x 100HP, 2x 80AL.

For the trailering part we then simply stand 6 tanks on their to form a pyramid and use a single heavy duty ratchet strap and strap them together. Then some luggage wedges them in for the drive. 6000 miles worth of driving and this hasn't failed.

When we're underway for diving, we set up the 3 BC's with tanks and they lay on the deck of the boat adjacent to the gunwales. The three remaining tanks are then strapped together and they lay on their side in front of the CC with valves pointing forward. The boat has some blocks to keep the cooler in place and these seem to keep the tanks in place just fine under way.

We've tried PVC holders. I've welded together a metal holder. In the end it was the simple ratcheting strap.

The Dri-Dek product is great for preventing damage to your decks.

N

Thanks for the input so far, keep the tips coming.

I should have added more detail:
In front of the console is a 2-person seat, which flips up to give access to the inside of the console. It can't be removed.
At the bow of the vessel there are 2 large compartments forming a V-shape, with hatches that open upward.

That Dri-Dek is a good idea- I'll probably order some for wherever I end up putting the gear. Good idea.

I purchased some large PVC pipes, same used for large water mains, and cut them in about 2 ft. pieces. I would arrange them in a triangle and use a ratchet strap to hold the shape. I can easily hold 10 steel 130's and 119's with no issues. I have a rubber mat that I place under the tanks to keep my fiberglass in good shape. This takes up a little room but but doesn't get in the way on my boat. The only thing is the PVC is expensive. I got mine from a friend who is a general contractor and he had this left over from a job. I think he told me that the pipe is around $25-$35 a foot but if you can find some for free like I did it makes a great tank holder.

I have friends with I believe a 23 ' center console and we were out not to
long ago and we had four divers and one bubble watcher and seemed to
get by in terms of space being careful of the gear laying about. There was
nothing in front of their center console so the tank rack secured to front
of console had a rack for four tanks. It was the type with the two plastic
things that flip up to secure the tank then down to release. On the sides
of the center console the same thing except set up for two tanks on each side.
There was enough room to easily walk by to get to the bow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom