Accessorizing a 22' center console for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dri-deck is a great product but I find it to rough on barefeet. I made a search of plastic tiles and ended up getting a product just as durable but the surface doesn't take skin off feet, or other body parts. A year or so later I actually hear of this mesh plastic tiles that behave as anti-fatigue floor mat. The price is not more than the dri-deck but definitely multitasks. Standing at the wheel on a long trip back with rough seas can get old, standing on a friendly floor eases up the burden.

Besides the decking, less is better in a small boat. Take care of the safety stuff first, then go for the fluff. O2 bottle, good radio, EPRB if you don't see land from your dive sites.

You have a boat now GO DIVING!!!

do you secure it to the deck, or just lay it in tight fitting and it stays?

I don't know what Nemrod did, I cover the deck corner to corner without securing it to the deck, every so often I take it off and give the deck a super wash it stays in place pretty good.

Attachments

• P1030062.jpg
    P1030062.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 519
  • P2100082.jpg
    P2100082.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 512
Dri-deck is a great product but I find it to rough on barefeet. I made a search of plastic tiles and ended up getting a product just as durable but the surface doesn't take skin off feet, or other body parts. A year or so later I actually hear of this mesh plastic tiles that behave as anti-fatigue floor mat. The price is not more than the dri-deck but definitely multitasks. Standing at the wheel on a long trip back with rough seas can get old, standing on a friendly floor eases up the burden.

Besides the decking, less is better in a small boat. Take care of the safety stuff first, then go for the fluff. O2 bottle, good radio, EPRB if you don't see land from your dive sites.

My DriDek just sits there.

My solution to the bare feet was to use three pieces as a bathmat
in my shower. My feet stay tough all winter.

I do put a small antifatigue mat at the helm. It doubles as a
pad on the bowlocker under unbooted tanks.

I do put a small antifatigue mat at the helm. It doubles as a
pad on the bowlocker under unbooted tanks.

Yeah.... I'm must be getting softer as I age.

do you secure it to the deck, or just lay it in tight fitting and it stays?

It is heavy enough that it stays put. I have never had it flap or flop but I cut it to fit the deck closely. If it were to be just a small piece laid down like a rug then I could see it might need to be secured, not so that it would not blow around, it will not, but to keep it from sliding, maybe.

N

LOL, rough on feet, bah, humbug! :wink:

I ran barefoot cross country, ran a marathon barefooted, the Dri-Dek fears my feet!

It can be a little rough on feet but never had much complaints.

N

I had a 22 foot Chris Craft center console that I used for everything. I originally attached tank racks to the gunwales in the rear but found that they got in the way and made getting up on plane hard. I got some 3/4 inch marine grade plywood and cut it to shape to fit in the space in front of the console. Covered it with carpet and mounted 2 Pelican 6 pack tank racks. Carried a dozen tanks or just leave the whole rig ashore when fishing or tubing. Worked well.

Dridek...
I wouldn't think I'd need to cover my deck "gunwale to gunwale" like one member did in that picture. Seems to be a little overkill, and not so nice on the feet. Do you think using just a few pieces and laying them under the tank racks would suffice? I use only soft weights on my boat.

I had a 22 foot Chris Craft center console that I used for everything. I originally attached tank racks to the gunwales in the rear but found that they got in the way and made getting up on plane hard....

I'm really surpised that your rear-mounted tanks made it difficult to get on plane. Did it improve the boat's handling when you moved them forward? I would think it would have the opposite effect (meaning that forward-mounted tank might hinder your ability to get on plane).

:rofl3: Chuck- great idea. Somehow I think my wife would object if I tried that, but I like your thinking... "don't fix the deck, just fix your wussy feet!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom