Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What has been said several times in this thread but seems to be repeatedly ignored is that different safety rules apply to different people. If you are a brand new diver, you are advised not to dive deeper than 60 feet. Get further training and experience, and your limits get deeper. For recreational divers, the absolute safe limit often described is 130 feet. That is probably true for 98% of the world's divers.

Technical divers get a lot of very serious training in their classes, training most recreational divers cannot imagine. As they progress through those classes, their depth limits change. I will use the PADI tech progression to illustrate that because the titles of the certifications include the depth limits in meters. Here is the sequence of courses you will take in PADI's sequence for decompression diving:

1) Tec 40
2) Tec 45
3) Tec 50
4) Tec 65
5) Tec 90

The first in the sequence (Tec 40) is an introductory course for extended time at recreational depths. Tec 45 is actual tech diving begins.

Cameron's dive was at the Tec 45 level.

There wasn't anything special about the dive Cameron did.. It was well with in his normal diving profiles... Something went wrong and he's gone.. Stuff happens all the time... Diving is a risky and un- forgiving sport.. Great knowing you..

Jim .

^ +1

He made the choices of what he did in an educated manner, accepting the risks.... There was no "trust me", there was no beyond his training/comprehension, there was no "pushed to make the dive"...

2wwspk.jpg

By "sound" I didn't mean audible (although that would be one kind). By "sound" I mean "working, functional, etc."

I'm not sure sound surface signaling/alarms would have helped. They are good (sometimes) in relatively close proximity.

I might have missed it earlier in the discussion. Do we know the exact entry point so a person could look at a map or satellite view of the area with some accuracy?

It is in the thread but no time to look right now.

I believe it was Cantarel, Eagle Ray Wall. Not sure of the shore entrance, Puerto Abrigo?

Here is Puerto de Abrigo. If someone has specifics closer to factual at least this should get you to the general area. I think that Cantarell is north of Puerto de Abrigo but my recollection may be incorrect.

Google Maps

Thanks. Looking at the satellite view there are quite a few occupied structures where someone might have been able to hear a Dive Alert along the shore up to where Melgar makes the sweep to the east. Not that everyone knows what they mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom