Accident reports-Required reading? (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbdiver said...
Most of the diving deaths were from drowning! I thought, how could somebody drown with an air source on their back?

Drowning is usually what kills people, from a coroner's point of view. If you get separated from your buddy, get tangled up and run out of air, you will drown. You've done several stupid things, but buddy separation, entanglement and running out of air are all survivable. Drowning is not (if you survive, technically it's a 'near drowning') and thus is listed as the cause of death.

Zept

Even an attentive, skilled buddy can't always save the other buddy.

If they panic, it is also a fact that many times two fatalities/injuries happen for the price of one from the attempted rescue.

And yes, "drowning" is the generic term that many ME's seem to use for "diving accident."

BTW, I like Mike F.'s approach to letting students know the risks. Too many students seem to feel that scuba is nearly risk free and shut off their brains after certification.

Back
Top Bottom