Accomodating inabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
In another thread, redrover brought up the aches and pains from old injuries, and how they can limit what she can now do.

With most of my major joints repaired over time, and unfortunately quite advanced osteoarthritis in my hands and feet for my age, I have found I have to make a number of accomodations for what I either can't do, or what is too painful to accomplish.

I don't put all my weight in one basket, for one thing. And when I do, for example, use camband weights for trimming out, I don't use something like Tobin's weight plates, which would pretty much obligate me to move the rig around at its full weight. I use camband weight pouches, so I can take the whole thing apart before I have to lift it or carry it very far.

I use big bolt snaps. They're much easier for arthritic fingers, especially when those fingers are cold. That's another reason why I use dry gloves, too -- Much easier with those stiff fingers!

I was really pleased with the foot and ankle support of the White's boots I got with the Fusion, which really made walking over broken surfaces in gear much more pleasant. Unfortunately, they were too big for me, and I had to give them up. All the similar boots I've been able to find either don't come in smaller sizes, or would still require I go up a size in fins, which turned out not to be a good option for my knees (sigh).

One change I haven't made yet (maybe typing this will motivate me) is to try going from inner tube loops on my backup lights to surgical tubing, which is still grippy but much more easily stretched. Deploying and restowing backup lights is one of the most difficult things for me to do in the water -- it HURTS!

So, what accomodations have you come up with for lack of strength, stamina, flexibility, or whatever as a result of wear and tear over the years?

Guage reader mask.

I'd like to find a push button/automatic winder for my spool and reel. Winding those up hurts like hell. Manipulating anything small, like a screwdriver for instance, is painfully difficult.

In another thread, redrover brought up the aches and pains from old injuries, and how they can limit what she can now do.
  • Split fins for knees that don't take well to twisting anymore.
  • "Reading" contact lens on the left so I can see my computer
  • Shoe-inserts for my drysuit boots, so I can walk to the car while wearing my BC
  • Telling the college kids in OW that "Carrying your own tanks and weights is part of the class."
I wish I had known that everything I beat up when I was young would come back to haunt me when I turned 50.

Terry

I have to get closer to hear and start sooner to get ready. Zipping the wet suit is a major consideration for diving solo. Sometimes it hard to reach the rear pull-dump. And I keep a supply of vitamin M handy when doing multi days of diving.

Lasik surgery. My arms must be getting shorter as I get older because it sure seems that I have to hold the SPG farther away to read it.

Oh, I hadn't even thought about the bifocal mask(s) I have to have . . . And buying a computer with BIG numbers.

I use a bifocal mask and a ProPlus2 (big numbers).

My big problem is my left knee, if I get tossed in the surf it is difficult to get up - but oh well, I'm still diving!

My major adjustments are all out of the water; the knees won't let me run, bike or do the stair machines. I can do elliptical trainers, but not every day. So now I swim a mile twice a week to stay in shape so I can keep diving.

I dive solo during lobster season, and sometimes, after a 1/2 mile surface swim out & in and 40 min. of bottom time, I need to drop my weights on the beach and make the climb up the cliffs in two trips. That really sucks. But I really like lobster.

Philip Cousteau took his Dad diving a spot near New Zealand when he (Jacques) was 90. He had to help him get back to the boat because the currents were so strong. Philip said he was afraid his dad would give up diving because of this, but Jacques only comment was " I have to design some equipment for old people who dive".

Back
Top Bottom