Achieving master diver recognition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laffy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello!
I am current a diver with SSI.
I have been diving more this past year and have completed two SSI specialities. Will be planning to do 2 more come december.

However, my rescue diver certification was not done under SSI. Rather, I did it with padi. Does this mean that I would not qualify for the master diver recognition?

I cannot seem to get a clear answer to this question online or with my local dive shops:(
Anyone here with experience?

If it is possible to still get a ssi recognition, how do i go about it?

Thanks guys

You will likely receive a lot of responses telling you that the "Master Diver" recognition isn't worth worrying about. As you gain more experience diving, you'll appreciate why.

Rescue plus a lot of experience is arguably the most important combination. Take specialties if you're interested in the subject, not to chase the MD recognition.

I have seen this type of response here on a few occasions. When anyone asks about the master diver cert all the advise is don't bother and it's not worth it blah blah blah, I just don't understand why it cannot be encouraged, you have people here trying to make the effort to enhance their training And achieve a goal to obtain a master cert. Personally I don't know if SDI and Padi allow mixed certs but for what it's worth getting a master diver certification was a long term goal of mine and I'm proud to have achieved it and it has only encouraged me to go further with my training. I show my card with pride so my advise is go for it, pick the specialities you want to do, get the required amount of dives and enjoy the master certification, it does put you into an elite group no matter what anyone else may say!!

Hello!

However, my rescue diver certification was not done under SSI. Rather, I did it with padi. Does this mean that I would not qualify for the master diver recognition?

Maybe I'm just too old to but I don't quite understand what you mean by "recognition." Hardly anyone ever looks at my C-Card so I don't knew if the dive ops even know or care what my level of certification is. They usually just tell me to write down my certification number. If I'm feeling like a smart-a$$ I write down NAUI 84410.

The SSI standards are online at:
my.DiveSSI.com

The Master Diver requirements start on page 67 and continue through page 68.

Copied verbatim from the document:
I. STUDENT PREREQUISITES Minimum age: 15 years old. Be an SSI Open Water Diver or hold an equivalent certification from another recognized certification agency.

II. REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPLETION Complete Diver Stress and Rescue or its equivalent and four (4) additional SSI Specialty programs. Only two (2) specialtiesfrom another recognized certiDcation agency may be credited toward the Master Diver rating. All non-SSI certiDcations must be entered into ODiN by the SSI Dive Center/Resort for the student to receive credit. Log 50 open water dives.The number of dives must be updated in the student's MySSI proDle in ODiN.

III. ISSUING A RECOGNITION CARD Once all requirements are complete and the student's proDle is updated in ODiN, the Master Diver digital recognition card will be issued at no charge.

I don't know how "or its equivalent" is interpreted, and it doesn't matter what I think the interpretation should be. You could use the fact that you have two more specialties left to complete as leverage to have your PADI resuce cert count. Maybe not. However, the shop will certainly have less motivation to argue to SSI on your behalf once you have completed all of your specialties and they have all of your money.

The SSI standards are online at:
my.DiveSSI.com

The Master Diver requirements start on page 67 and continue through page 68.

Copied verbatim from the document:
I. STUDENT PREREQUISITES Minimum age: 15 years old. Be an SSI Open Water Diver or hold an equivalent certification from another recognized certification agency.

II. REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPLETION Complete Diver Stress and Rescue or its equivalent and four (4) additional SSI Specialty programs. Only two (2) specialtiesfrom another recognized certiDcation agency may be credited toward the Master Diver rating. All non-SSI certiDcations must be entered into ODiN by the SSI Dive Center/Resort for the student to receive credit. Log 50 open water dives.The number of dives must be updated in the student's MySSI proDle in ODiN.

III. ISSUING A RECOGNITION CARD Once all requirements are complete and the student's proDle is updated in ODiN, the Master Diver digital recognition card will be issued at no charge.

I don't know how "or its equivalent" is interpreted, and it doesn't matter what I think the interpretation should be. You could use the fact that you have two more specialties left to complete as leverage to have your PADI resuce cert count. Maybe not. However, the shop will certainly have less motivation to argue to SSI on your behalf once you have completed all of your specialties and they have all of your money.
Thank you for this information:)
Truly appreciate it

I have seen this type of response here on a few occasions. When anyone asks about the master diver cert all the advise is don't bother and it's not worth it blah blah blah, I just don't understand why it cannot be encouraged, you have people here trying to make the effort to enhance their training And achieve a goal to obtain a master cert. Personally I don't know if SDI and Padi allow mixed certs but for what it's worth getting a master diver certification was a long term goal of mine and I'm proud to have achieved it and it has only encouraged me to go further with my training. I show my card with pride so my advise is go for it, pick the specialities you want to do, get the required amount of dives and enjoy the master certification, it does put you into an elite group no matter what anyone else may say!!
I do agree with you. I was expecting different responses. I guess each to his own. Thank you:)

Back
Top Bottom