Actual experience getting service on "internet only" regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't see what point you were trying to make with your sarcasm there.

If you want to argue the big brands don't mark up their 40 dollar first stage kits twice, once by the brand then again by the LDS, then I am all ears.

I really don't see what point you were trying to make with your sarcasm there.

If you want to argue the big brands don't mark up their 40 dollar first stage kits twice, once by the brand then again by the LDS, then I am all ears.
sorry, i thought you were talking about the "online only" brand

He was exaggerating a bit and he said "almost." I don't have the receipt in front of me so I don't recall the quote. I trust this guy. He works for one of the big internet retailers and has always been good to us. It really wasn't a hard sell or anything like that, just a friendly suggestion.

I am not that familiar with Mares regulators, but I do know they are not cheap. I would think if you were to replace what you have item for item you would be looking at $500 minimum. So that would be a great exaggeration.

If you are looking for cheap regs, there is a guy on eBay who is selling NOS Aeris regulators for cheap. Aeris was Oceanic's "value" brand. You could get a set for around $200. Also Randy at Piranha has some Seac regulators at some great prices. You could get a set for around $200. When I say set, I mean a first stage and two seconds.

the service kits are highly inflated at retail. if you get them in bulk direct from ODS/Aquatec, they are a lot cheaper. still money to be made at 35 dollars a stage.

But can an average diver do this? I tried buying Scubapro kits in bulk from Amron and they would not sell them to me. I also tried buying in bulk from Trident and they would not sell to me. :(

there are a couple places that I have seen sell them ...and I have seen a lot on e bay

I am not that familiar with Mares regulators, but I do know they are not cheap. I would think if you were to replace what you have item for item you would be looking at $500 minimum. So that would be a great exaggeration.

If you are looking for cheap regs, there is a guy on eBay who is selling NOS Aeris regulators for cheap. Aeris was Oceanic's "value" brand. You could get a set for around $200. Also Randy at Piranha has some Seac regulators at some great prices. You could get a set for around $200. When I say set, I mean a first stage and two seconds.
Not looking for cheap at all. As a matter of fact i wasn't really looking at all. But the tech tech kinda put the idea in my mind that maybe i should start thinking about it. Not been thrilled with our mares regs. Still working for now so can afford a new set.. guessing this next set will be my last. So interested in a good value for a high performer.

Not looking for cheap at all. As a matter of fact i wasn't really looking at all. But the tech tech kinda put the idea in my mind that maybe i should start thinking about it. Not been thrilled with our mares regs. Still working for now so can afford a new set.. guessing this next set will be my last. So interested in a good value for a high performer.

The Aeris set is cheap is inexpensive but they still look to be good performers. The first is a basic Oceanic balanced diaphragm and the seconds are adjustable. I am not sure if these are re-branded Delta's or a Far East import. However it looks like the first stage is sold.

The Seac's are more comparable to your Mares, balanced first stage and unbalanced downstream seconds.

I would not call either of these poor performers. At $200 you could almost consider them disposable. Dive for a few years and then fleebay them and buy something else.

I have had that same conversation myself a few times. It is not a stretch to say that overhauling an old outdated regulator, (where service kits may be available, but any other part requiring replacement is SOL) you may be 1/3 or even 1/2 of the way to purchasing a brand new entry level (but quality) regulator. So the time to think about it is when getting it serviced, NOT a couple of months after you have spent the money on the service. And if replacing hoses too, that gets you that much closer to purchasing new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom