Adapter...Converter.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddream

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Most of our electronic equipment plugs show: Input 100-240V which I think means we can plug our devices in without a converter. We have a couple of adapters that will work for Fiji. Help....are there any types of electronic equipment with this Input that shouldn't be used without a converter?

240v, 50hz is their standard power. Anything with a motor that runs on AC is going to be VERY upset. Hairdryers etc. Anything that is converting AC to DC should be OK, i.e. most chargers. Wireless chargers are often very strange so things like toothbrush chargers may not be compatible so you'll want to check that

tbone1004 is correct anything with a motor could have issues.
Standard charger marked 100-240v should be find with your adapter.that configure to the AUS type outlets.
They also have charging area at the resort for things you may worry about.

Here is what am bringing along with a power strip for more than 3 outlets so i can charge everything I need in my room.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Unive...ocphy=9012372&hvtargid=pla-393871610137&psc=1

only problem with the converters that @cardzard linked is they are REALLY limited in terms of how much power they can dole out due to the transformer in them. Anything that can run off of the outlet as standard should be. You shouldn't have many things you're bringing that aren't converting power to DC that would require the transformer.

Thanks for the comments from all of the above! We aren't bringing anything like a hairdryer, curling iron, electric toothbrush, etc. All of the things we need to charge are computers, dive lights, cameras, flashlight batteries, etc. Thanks, Dennis, for letting us know the resort has a room to charge items. That's great!

All these will be fine at the higher voltage. You will just need one of those plug adapters. Depending on your situation you may also want a power strip so you can get like 4-5 devices on one outlet. I carry one of these, but apparently they don't make them any more?

Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go Power Strip

Just a general note, the frequency is also an issue for hair dryers, motors, etc. A mismatch in design frequency can also cause issues for these products.

Thanks, Scoo, that's just what we figured. We have the adapter and we bought the power strip. We're good to go tomorrow!

Ok. I’m nervous about using my hairdryer. Will it work with a converter exactly like the one Dennis has? I don’t want to blow anything up. LOL.

Ok. I’m nervous about using my hairdryer. Will it work with a converter exactly like the one Dennis has? I don’t want to blow anything up. LOL.

the converter that Dennis has is likely not going to have nearly enough wattage to run a hairdryer. I would not bring your hairdryer. Buy a cheap 220v one or see if you can use a local one while you're there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom